Ghost stories from WW2.

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
jbaum

Re: Ghost stories from WW2.

Post by jbaum » 16 Dec 2022, 01:52

I've had one US field telephone for quite a while, and thought I should get another one to see if I could make them work. I found a deal on two, so now I had three. I got one of the two to work, the other one had a bad part, so I hooked it up to the one I already had and had them working just fine.
The phone that didn't work had a really nice canvas case, the other one didn't, so I switched the cases to have a good looking pair.
My wife has little interest in such things, but I wanted to show her how well the phones worked and how clear they were. I brought the phones out of the basement (she didn't even know I had them), and gave her one handset and said to listen to how clear it was. She put it down like it burned her, and told me to get them out of the house. She said they were used to call in an airstrike on the Germans, that the owner died in an explosion, and that he's pissed because I switched the cases. She also announced out loud that she had enough to keep her busy, and she didn't have time for the guy and that he needed to leave.
The phones stay in the garage now.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

Elizabeth1

Ghost stories from WW2.

Post by Elizabeth1 » 16 Dec 2022, 20:42

As the title suggests, they are ghost stories :D
VanillaNuns wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 22:46
I thought this was supposed to be a serious research forum? Not for sharing unsolved ghost stories, myths and paranormal activity from beyond the grave.

Most of these above stories are absurd and ridiculous. That's my opinion anyway. :roll:
War Widow.. devout follower of Jesus Christ.

Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane » 27 Feb 2023, 16:21

"Auschwitz's horrors still haunt Poles living in nearby town."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-holo ... SKBN1ZQ2CE

"Daniela Szelc says she is still haunted by the screams of people and barking of dogs carrying through the night from the nearby Nazi death camp Auschwitz three-quarters of a century ago."

And I do believe her...

This is not the first account of hauntings at Auschwitz I came across to.

Furthermore, there is an account that the Bergen Belsen is haunted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/nov ... dwar.world

Federalist

Post by Federalist » 08 Mar 2024, 06:47

VanillaNuns wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 22:46
I thought this was supposed to be a serious research forum? Not for sharing unsolved ghost stories, myths and paranormal activity from beyond the grave.

Most of these above stories are absurd and ridiculous. That's my opinion anyway. :roll:
These stories, if shown to have been shared among the soldiers or those living through the war, must certainly have research and sociological value. Tall tales and thoughts on the supernatural can tell us what people feared and can help us better understand their view of the world. It is a uniquely human phenomenon that deserves attention.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 08 Mar 2024, 10:08

I have heard that "Death" was seen stalking the hill of Monte Cassino. But I have no details of eye-witness reports. Perhaps someone else can help with those?
Perhaps an echo of the contemporary referrals to Colle S Angelo as the 'Hill of the Angel of Death' and the iconic photo-montage that accompanies the relevant chapter in Wankowicz's 'Bitwa o Monte Casssino' (Battle for Monte Cassino), showing a spectral angel stabbing an advancing soldier with a sword? This is, however, a reference to the high casualty rate sustained in the fighting for this hill rather than any paranormal activity.

BlackDragon98

Post by BlackDragon98 » 09 Mar 2024, 03:45

I can confirm the stories about Nanjing. My father grew up in a military base outside the city (my grandfather was an PLA combat engineer) and he heard some stories about hauntings at night; bloody figures lurching in alleyways, screams and cries for help, and the like. Half a million people (civilians and soldiers) died in a horrific manner during that dreadful massacre and skeletal remains are still being dug out today by construction.
Watching the world burn down around me.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”