Augsburg

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Sidecar1969

Re: Augsburg

Post by Sidecar1969 » 14 Dec 2009, 20:58

Larry D
Under list of camps is a list and under ( Dachau )Their is three In Augsburg Reese, Flak and Sheridan
the following list contains the name of the major camps. .... Munchen; Munchen Friedman; Munchen Riem (Org. Todt); Munchen Schwabing; Munchen Sendling ... homepage of the Mauthausen Memorial for detailed informations: http://www.mauthausen-memorial.gv.at ) ... Vught (click here for more information about this camp) ... ( This is a uncompleted list but has most of then listed I think.)
http://www.jewishgen.org/ForgottenCamps ... teEng.html - Cached - Similar
[edit] Involvement in World War II

A Messerschmitt Bf 109E, a model built at the Haunstetten Messerschmitt facilities.
As the seat of a factory of the powerful Messerschmitt corporation, Haunstetten became a wartime production center during World War II. Two large production centers, Werk III and Werk IV were located in Haunstetten, in what is now Universitätsviertel, although now these production facilities belong to EADS and DaimlerChrysler Aerospace. The number of production facilities located in Haunstetten led to pressure on the local housing market as production laborers, researchers and engineers came from all over Germany to work for the Messerschmitt facilities. This led to the construction of the Messerschmittsiedlung (English: Messerschmitt settlement), which was completed in 1937 and was expanded in 1939. This influx of workers also lead to a rapid increase of the resident population of Haunstetten, which increased from 3,000 in 1933 to 8,000 in 1945. Although only 6,000 worked at the Messerschmitt facilities in 1936, this number grew to 9,000 by 1939 and by 1944 the worker population had reached 18,000 - of which 47% were either foreign or forced laborers. Three barracks were built for forced laborers to live in. Further forced labor for the Messerschmitt production facilities was obtained from a satellite of Dachau concentration camp, which was located near a gravel quarry close to the border with Inningen.
The Messerschmitt production facilities were a very important center of arms, especially of fighter aircraft such as the Messerschmitt Bf 109. Over 34,000 of this model were produced at the Messerschmitt facilities by the end of the war. Because of the strategic importance of the aircraft works, the Messerschmitt facilities and the surrounding areas were bombed by American and British air raids, which killed 165 people, including 70 prisoners from the Dachau satellite camp. The American and British bombing raids caused significant damage to the Haunstetten area. Although the exact death toll of captured laborers and prisonser at the Dachau satellite camp is not known, the war and subsequent bombing raids killed 300 residents and destroyed one quarter of all residences in the area. The war was declared over in Haunstetten on April 28, 1945 as American forced claimed the area.
State archives: Staatsarchiv Augsburg
Salomon-Idler-Str. 2
86159 Augsburg
Phone: (0821) 575025
Fax: (0821) 579945
Balts feared repatriation to their Stalin-controlled homeland due to 1940-41 year Soviets killed / deported 62,000 Estonians; 34,000 Latvians; 40,000; Lithuanians (Wyman p.79).
Two daughters refused to leave their aged, blind father after they were accepted for U.S., not including a blind old man. He hung himself; a letter in his pocket begged the Almighty and his daughters to forgive him (Wyman, p.203).

Lithuanians take handiworks' courses in DP camp Augsburg-Hochfeld
Photo from Hearken Then Judge by Juozas Pasilaitis, submitted by Frank Passic
My father, born in Ukraine, was in Somme-Kaserne in Augsburg Germany in 1942 (verified by records held by Australian National Archives). He came to Australia in 1947 as a displaced person. We do not know if any of his family survived the war. Here is a little about Somme-Kaserne. In 1931/35 Hitler left the Somme (the large drilling place which built tanks) and the Arraskaserne (with offices for food supply). When the American soldiers came in, they called >>the camps Reese and Sheridan barracks, and another, the Flack barracks on the Neusaesser road. A camp for Nazi slave laborers (who did not wish to return to Ukraine which was under Soviet occupation) was established at Gegengen. In fall of 1945, the rapidly growing population at Gegengen was moved to another camp known as Somme Kaserne. Initially operated by the UNRRA, Somme Kaserne was turned over in 1947 to a new agency, IRO, which assisted displaced persons to resettle in other countries. Kindest regards Joanne Kotylak
I hope that will clarify what I said I think this is what happen their only the People that lived their would know for certain I think that the Q.M. and the PX was the receiving station for the camp.

Larry If you want any further information or have any other questions, lets exchange email addresses

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 14 Dec 2009, 21:49

Thanks for all the information, Sidecar. I am a researcher and author of several books concerning the Luftwaffe and the name "Haunstetten" caught my eye. My interest is in the airfield there, specifically Luftwaffe units that may have been tenants there as the airfield was mostly used by the Messerschmitt firm. I am also interested in the highlights of the airfield's wartime history. Your interests, on the other hand, seem to be of a more personal nature and mainly focused on the forced labor employed by Messerschmitt and the refugees that were housed in Augsburg during and after the war. Here are the basics on the airfield:

Augsburg-Haunstetten (GER) (48 20 00 N – 10 54 05 E)
General: Industriehafen (factory airfield for the Messerschmitt aircraft firm) 55 km NW of Munich in Bavaria in S Germany; airstrip 5 km S of Augsburg. Grass surface with paved apron.
School Units: LNS 3 (Jul 38 – 1940); LNS 4 (Oct – Nov 39);
Station Units: Platzkdo. of Fl.H.Kdtr. A(o) 13/VII (Lechfeld) (1944-45).

Larry

Ciscopoo

Post by Ciscopoo » 22 Dec 2009, 01:30

I was stationed in Augsburg from 1979 - 1984. Flak Kaserne had ASA units and the 34th General Hospital on it's grounds. Reese Kaserne included the 1-36th FA Bn and the 17th FA Bde Hqs. Sheridan Kaserne included ASAS units, a MP unit, a JAG office, 1-18th FA Bn, and VII Corps Artillery Hqs. Also, a Signal unit was on Sheridan Kaserne. The 3/63rd AR Bn was also at Sheridan, but moved to another kaserne (Kissingen??) in 1983 when it turned in it's M-60s and received the M-1 Abrams Tanks. I think the 3/63rd AR Bn was the first battalion in Europe to get the M-1 Tanks.

Flak Kaserne, previously had German Wehrmacht Triple-A units assigned to protect the grounds from Allied bombings.
The remnants of a bunker complex (Triple-A/anti-aircraft guns) was located on Sheridan Kaserne near the Children's Day Care Center.

There was always rumor the Officer's Club on Sheridan Kaserne had served as a German SS facility. The club had a number of exterior indicators the facility had been used by German Officers during the 30s and 40s. There was also a small bowling alley in the basement.

Gablingen Kaserne was where the ASA's Field Station was located. 'Gab' during previous US Army stationing, included elements from the 24th Infantry Divison and the 2nd Armored Divison.

I lived in Neusaess, not too far from Flak Kaserne, and in the country. It was a great place to live; not too many Americans lived here so for those of us who wanted to "melt-in" with the local German population this was an ideal setting. I had a very nice German Land Lady who always opened a bottle of wine when I came over and payed my monthly rent. My contribution was a jar of Skippy Peanut Butter for her children, who's father was an American commercial airline pilot living in the States.

Augsburg was close to Munich (and Dachau), the Oktober Fest, and the Alps in southern Germany, so this was an ideal place for out door activities. The city of Augsburg had many restaurants, concerts, and museums to visit and enjoy. Their beer fests and wine fests were super! The only drawback to my experience was I spent way too much time deployed. I a result, I didn't get to enjoy all the experiences Augsburg had to offer due to my Army duties. 8-)

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 22 Dec 2009, 02:47

Ciscopoo,

I was in 3/63 Armor from April 1982 to April 1985. I was in Augsburg and we moved from there to Kitzingen in 1983. We were the 2d tank battalion in Europe to convert from M60A1s to M-1s. I could not remember the name of the Kaserne we were on, I thought it was Sheridan, but I was not sure, now I am sure! Thanks! I was only in Augsburg for about 10 months and I did not get to see much of the city, with deployments and M-1 transition training, I was barely there!

Mike

augsburg-army

Post by augsburg-army » 03 Jan 2010, 23:21

hi guys
im living in augsburg germany and we have not forget you here we remeber here and plan a museum
for pics and information visit our 2 sites we hope to hear from one from you
regards jürgen
www.amerika-in-augsburg.de
www.us-army-augsburg.de

PatriotTurk

Post by PatriotTurk » 21 Jul 2010, 18:17

Hil all,

Is there any museums or historical places about ww2 in Augsburg? :milsmile: I want to get information because I may go to there soon.

Thanks for every replies.

Onur

Keir

Post by Keir » 11 Sep 2010, 21:05

Wife and I just came back after spending the day in Augsburg. Just from the train station down Prinzregentstr. is the Landratsamt with the reichsadler still above the door and protected by a mesh screen. Also on the facade is what appears to be NS relief typical of the time for the German Workers' Front.
http://tinyurl.com/y4wc64k
Attachments
myphoto(4).jpeg
myphoto(4).jpeg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 11589 times
myphoto(3).jpeg
myphoto(3).jpeg (23.75 KiB) Viewed 11589 times
myphoto(2).jpeg
myphoto(2).jpeg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 11589 times
Last edited by Keir on 11 Sep 2010, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Keir

Post by Keir » 11 Sep 2010, 21:20

A plaque heralds the site of Augsburg's 'Liberation.' It reads
HIER BEFREITE AM 28. APRIL 1945 DIE 3. U.S. INFANTERIE-DIVISION MIT HILFE DER AUGSBURGER FREIHEITSBEWEGUNG DIE STADT VON DER HERRSCHAFT DES NS-REGIMES. DANK DIESER FRIEDLICHEN KAPITULATION BLIEB AUGSBURG VOR WEITERER ZERSTÖRUNG BEWAHRT.

DIESES EREIGNIS SOLL IN ERINNERUNG BLEIBEN.

ON APRIL 28, 1945, AT THIS LOCATION, THE 3rd U.S. INFANTRY DIVISION LIBERATED WITH THE HELP OF THE AUGSBURG LIBERATION MOVEMENT THE CITY FROM THE NAZI REGIME. THANKS TO THE PEACEFUL SURRENDER, THE CITY OF AUGSBURG WAS SPARED FROM FURTHER DESTRUCTION.

MAY THIS EVENT REMAIN IN OUR MEMORY.

I hadn't heard of this 'Augsburg Liberation Movement' which helped the American 3rd Infantry Division 'liberate' the town from the Germans (apparently only after it became clear the war was days from being lost) until I came across this plaque. Google-searching the group in English found only one entry for it.
Attachments
myphoto(5).jpeg
myphoto(5).jpeg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 11589 times

Keir

Post by Keir » 11 Sep 2010, 21:34

The synagogue in the town centre and just after the war, with the signs reading "Entry Forbidden for the general public, but also mentions a Jewish Service on Friday and Sunday." http://infotrue.com/landman.html
It had been burned during Reichskristallnacht but not destroyed. It finally reopened in 1985.
Attachments
myphoto(7).jpeg
myphoto(7).jpeg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 11588 times
myphoto(6).jpeg
myphoto(6).jpeg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 11588 times

augsburg-army

Post by augsburg-army » 23 Sep 2010, 22:09

the plaque is from us we have installed this with the stadtwerke augsburg and the amerika in augsburg society
a museum is under construction :D

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 24 Sep 2010, 00:30

augsburg-army wrote:the plaque is from us we have installed this with the stadtwerke augsburg and the amerika in augsburg society
a museum is under construction :D
I need to get back to Augsburg! I was in 3d Battalion 63d Armor and we moved to Kitzingen about 10 months after I got there, and because of training, I only spent a very short time in Augsburg. It is a great city, and I need to go back and enjoy it!! What was the beer?? Haussen Brau?? Good stuff, Rabbit Beer!

Mike

Plywaski

Post by Plywaski » 26 May 2014, 05:04

I was a slave laborer in the early spring of 1945 housed in an aircraft hangar which I think was referred to as the Luftnachrichten Kaserne.had visited the place in 1961 when it was then some kind of an American military base and the hangar was partially destroyed. I am interested in knowing what would be the net present name of this location.

dudulinka

Post by dudulinka » 31 Jul 2014, 14:23

Hi Plywaski. My grandmother was also a slave worker in Augsburg in a factory for ammunition for aircrafts. I have very little information from her. Can you please tell me any information that might be helpful? (she was with a large group of women prisoners brought from auschwits). She was a jewish prisoner from Hungary. Thank you.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 01 Aug 2014, 19:35

For more info on the Augsburg posts, go to this link and scroll down and click on AUGSBURG -

http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?h ... m#Augsburg

Geoff

Robin1966

Post by Robin1966 » 18 Oct 2014, 17:15

Hi guys, I am a freelance journalist with an interest in World War 2. At present I am researching the Dachau sub-camps, which I may or may not attempt to turn into a book project or some point. I would be interested in learning more about the Augsberg sub-camp so if anyone here knows more about this, please let me know. I would be interested especially in talking to anyone who was a forced labourer there during the war.

Thanks and best wishes

Robin, Weston Super Mare, UK

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”