Why German generals tactically superior than Allied Generals

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
butgen
Banned

Re: Why German generals tactically superior than Allied Gene

Post by butgen » 14 Jan 2011, 21:38

ljadw wrote: Not only were the Germans desperate in september 1941,but also must you,because,you are using the classick strawman ,I did not write that German armored divisions were not able to operate in the SU because the,
re were no roads,
1st strawman :I did write :I doubt very much
2nd strawman :I did not mention armoured divisions,but motorized forces
3th strawman :you are "forgetting" that I also did mention:the 2 rasputitza's and the winter .
But,the most surprising is that you think that german armoured divisions could operate in the SU ,notwithstanding the bad roads,or that there were no roads,because tanks did not need to drive on the roads,unless,you are thinking that the only important thing in a Pz division was the number of tanks,and that the rest:infantry,artillery,supply were neglectable And,of course,you are ignoring that the deep penetrations by the Pz divisions in the summer of 1941,resulted in a failure,and that Barbarossa had already failed at the end of augustus ,because the success or failure of Barbarossa did not depend on what the Pz divisions could do,but on what the Red Army could and would do ;but,of course,that's not mentioned in the hagiographies of the German panzer generals ..
It is amazing that a user on a forum like this can be so totally ignorant of the history of WWII.
You literally stated that mobile warfare could not be important in eastern europe as there were no roads there. :lol: :lol:
I stated with absolute convintion that you are on your own when you deny that during Barbarossa a huge chunk of the USSR was taken and huge numbers of soldiers captured essentially because of the breakthroughs by mobile forces. You can call that failure as much as you like. :lol: I call it success.
And your usual unsourced insults against german commanders do not make an impression either.
Your abscence of knowledge about ww2 is staggering. 8O

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 14 Jan 2011, 22:03

ljadw wrote:
Kelvin wrote:
ljadw wrote:
LWD wrote:
ljadw wrote:thus,more resources is always better than mastery of mobile warfare (which was not that important in the east),than a goodplan,than being tactically superior.
I disagree at least to some extent. What was important in the East was not only did the Soviets have more resources but their operational and strategic skills at least equalled and arguably surpassed that of the Germans in the latter parts of the war. This rendered German tactical superiority while still painful ultimately futile.
That's what I am saying :operational and strategic skills are more important than (possible) German tactical superiority .
About the mobile warfare :both armies only had a limited part of their forces inthe mobile units .For the Germans ,it was some 32 divisions of the 150.For the Russians,it was not that different :the number of mechanized corps (17400 men ) and Tank corps (11900 men ) was very limited (I forgot their number),while for the Germans 20% of their strength was in the mobile units,it was for the SU (as far I remember) even lower .
The reason was
a)that none had the means to fully motorize their forces
b) that,if they had,I doubt very much that such motorized forces could operate in Eastern Europe,with no roads,2 rasputitza's a year,the winter...)
That's why I doubt that mastery of mobile warfare would be that important on the Eastern frontIMHO,the combination artillery-infantry was more important.
Soviet normally had 26 Tank corps and 11 Mechanized Corps and had that number in June 1944. On 1 June 1944, German had 16 Panzer divisions and 7 PanzerGrenadier Divisions in the Eastern Front. But those division were extremely weak and most of them lacked tanks and SPW. The cream of German panzer forces were located in the West. The lack of strong armored forces in the eastern front during mid 1944-late 1944 which enabled Russian destroyed German force so easily.
Mobile warfare was of vital importance in the Eastern front, with relative weak armored forces in the second half of 1944, many German infantry divisions were destroyed by Russian without difficulty.Infantry and artillery strong were important and panzer troop needed them to cover flank, hold ground, lines and enemy, and but the latter were easily tp be cut off. Panzer troop was used to spearhead to cut off and break the enemy lines and they needed infantry to further their advance.
At that time, Russian had 427,000 motor vehicles , mostly provided by US, and 6,000 tanks and assault guns, was capable of cutting off many non-mobile infantry divison and artillery forces (towed guns). Suppose , without Western front, elite panzer forces in the West must save the German forces in mid 1944.
I knew,the LL trucks would appear 8-) ,but,427000 motor vehicles were send -arrived? to the SU,but the Red Army did NOT (and I presume NEVER) had at any time 427000 operational LL motor vehicles .
The Dupuy Institute is giving for july 1943 22 tank Corps and 13 Mechanized Corps
22 TC X11900 =262000
13 MC X 17400=226000
The total =488000,of course,there were separate tank and mechanized units,let's take a total of 600000 ,then,we have 10 % of the Russian frontstrength .
As only a small part of the Russian army was concentrated in the mobile units,a logical conclusion would be that,for the Russian side,mobile warfare was not that important .
My figure is on June 1944, there were 26 tank corps and 11 mechanized corps and add another 37 separate tank brigades. And please don't remember that apart from tank forces, Soviet artillery forces were fully motorized too. In June 1944, Soviet had 83 Artillery Divisions and 93 separate artillery brigades. Each artillery division was authorized to have 1,533 motor vehicles. And each Rifle division was authorized to have 247 motor vehicles and the number of Soviet rifle divisions were much more than their German counterpart. In June 1944, Soviet had 476 Rifle divisions while German had total 150 divisions, including Panzer and PanzerGrenadier Divisions. Let calculate that :

Artillery divison : 1533 motor vehicles x 83 = 127,239
Artillery division : 300 motor vehicles x 93 = 27,900
Mechanized Corps : 2,120 motor vehicles x 11 =23,320
Tank Corps : 1,610 motor vehicles x 26 = 41,860
Separate Tank Brig : 156 motor vehicles x 37 = 5,772
Cavarly Corps : 892 motor vehicles x 7 = 6,244
Rifle division 247 motor vehicles x 476 = 117,572
Soviet at least had 350,000 motor vehicles, and each Front (total 11) had strong separate transport force for logistics , at least 5000-10000 motor for each front. So they had over 400,000 motor vehicles were reasonable.

Number of motorzied forces :
Tank corps : 11900 men x 26 = 309,400 men
Mech corps : 17400 x 11 = 191,400 men
Artillery division 9700 x 83 = 805,100 men
Tank brigade : 1300 x 37 = 48,100
Artillery brigades average 1500 men x 93 = 139,500 men
Total nearly 1.5 million men.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 14 Jan 2011, 22:26

butgen wrote:
ljadw wrote: Not only were the Germans desperate in september 1941,but also must you,because,you are using the classick strawman ,I did not write that German armored divisions were not able to operate in the SU because the,
re were no roads,
3th strawman :you are "forgetting" that I also did mention:the 2 rasputitza's and the winter .
But,the most surprising is that you think that german armoured divisions could operate in the SU ,notwithstanding the bad roads,or that there were no roads,because tanks did not need to drive on the roads,unless,you are thinking that the only important thing in a Pz division was the number of tanks,and that the rest:infantry,artillery,supply were neglectable And,of course,you are ignoring that the deep penetrations by the Pz divisions in the summer of 1941,resulted in a failure,and that Barbarossa had already failed at the end of augustus ,because the success or failure of Barbarossa did not depend on what the Pz divisions could do,but on what the Red Army could and would do ;but,of course,that's not mentioned in the hagiographies of the German panzer generals ..
It is amazing that a user on a forum like this can be so totally ignorant of the history of WWII.
You literally stated that mobile warfare could not be important in eastern europe as there were no roads there. :lol: :lol:
I stated with absolute convintion that you are on your own when you deny that during Barbarossa a huge chunk of the USSR was taken and huge numbers of soldiers captured essentially because of the breakthroughs by mobile forces. You can call that failure as much as you like. :lol: I call it success.
And your usual unsourced insults against german commanders do not make an impression either.
It was a failure,because operation Barbarossa (I you don't know,search :wink: ) stated that the SU had to be defeated in a quick (=short) campaign,well,after a campaign of 10 weeks (=quick and short) and after losing 400000 men,and after losing 1179 tanks and 37 AG,the SU was not defeated .
What was the reason ? Of course not because the German army was not fully motorized,because you stated there was no need for . :lol: :P Or was there something with the tactical superiority by the German generals ?
:lol: I could give some reasons ,but why wast my time with some one whose only argument is that the German generals were superior(only hindered by the stupid Hitler) and who is parading as the defender of their honour against insults .We had here some time ago also some one who was defending the honour of the german generals :general( :P ) G ,maybe a relative ? :lol: :P

butgen
Banned

Post by butgen » 14 Jan 2011, 22:56

ljadw wrote:
butgen wrote:
re were no roads,
It was a failure,because operation Barbarossa (I you don't know,search :wink: ) stated that the SU had to be defeated in a quick (=short) campaign,well,after a campaign of 10 weeks (=quick and short) and after losing 400000 men,and after losing 1179 tanks and 37 AG,the SU was not defeated .
What was the reason ? Of course not because the German army was not fully motorized,because you stated there was no need for . :lol: :P Or was there something with the tactical superiority by the German generals ?
:lol: I could give some reasons ,but why wast my time with some one whose only argument is that the German generals were superior(only hindered by the stupid Hitler) and who is parading as the defender of their honour against insults .We had here some time ago also some one who was defending the honour of the german generals :general( :P ) G ,maybe a relative ? :lol: :P
It is not a surprise that you do not mention the massive soviet losses. :lol:
Operation Barbarossa obtained the result that could be obtained. Did not win the war but was certainly a successful campaign.I think it was Hitler who decided to attack the USSR and not his generals.He certainly also had major influence on some aspects of Barbarossa.(imposing too many objectives) :lol:
Operation barbarossa certainly proved the superiority of the german army in mobile warfare.
You have never even attempted to prove anything which is not surprising in view of your complete lack of reading. :lol:
Putting words in someone else's mouth is proof of weakness.
Defending the professional reputation of german commanders is not difficult and there are many on that side of the argument. Your thesis that Hitler,the civilian ,was smarter than his highly competent commanders is indefensible and there are not many on that side of the argument and those have a clear political motivation.

butgen
Banned

Post by butgen » 15 Jan 2011, 09:58

Kelvin wrote:
My term "lack" is wrong, I use "shortage "of tank and SPW in Pz divisions in June 1944 is much better ; both 13. and 14. Panzer divisions only had two and one Pz IV operational respectively on June 1 1944, on the same day, 3. Pz division only had 13 Pz IV and 23 SPW ready for action and this Bear division 's armored infantry battalion (I./Pz.Gren.Rgt.3) and Panzer Aufklarung abteilung 3 was missing (refitting in Germany) 16. Pz division only had 26 combat ready SPW. 7.Pz division 's armored infantry battalion ( II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 6) and its own Flak abteilung were missing.(Refitting in Germany too)) Neither 12.Panzer division nor 20.Panzer division had their own panzeraukflarung abteilung ( Panzer Aufklarung 12 & 20) in the East ( refitting in Germany too.) Totenkopf only had 33 Panzer operatonal ( 2 x Tiger, 23 x Pz IV and 8 x StuG). Wiking Divison 's III./SS.Pz.Gren.Rgt. 9 Germania seldom had SPW at that time. Elite GroBdeutschland only had 60 SPW, 19 Tiger, 12 PzIV and 15 StuG in operational.18. and 20.PanzerGrenadier Divisons hardly had any StuG III on that day. SS.Frewilligen PanzerGrenadier Division only had 10 StuGIII and 5 Panther ready for action. You can see the Panzer divisions in the East were really in bad shape. The number of armored divisions were acceptable but their main problem were too many understrength panzer divisions. :(
You are overstating the case by focussing on divisions or parts of divisions that were weak.

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 15 Jan 2011, 16:49

butgen wrote:
ljadw wrote:
butgen wrote:
re were no roads,
Operation Barbarossa obtained the result that could be obtained. Did not win the war but was certainly a successful campaign.I think it was Hitler who decided to attack the USSR and not his generals.He certainly also had major influence on some aspects of Barbarossa.(imposing too many objectives) :lol:
Operation barbarossa certainly proved the superiority of the german army in mobile warfare.
You have never even attempted to prove anything which is not surprising in view of your complete lack of reading. :lol:
Defending the professional reputation of german commanders is not difficult and there are many on that side of the argument. Your thesis that Hitler,the civilian ,was smarter than his highly competent commanders is indefensible and there are not many on that side of the argument and those have a clear political motivation.
With regard to direction of war, Hitler main targets were on Leningrad and Ukraine. Moscow was his general's target. Hitler compromised with three routes. Hitler's generals were optimistic than Hitler himself. Halder suggested the collapse of Russia within 14 days. Both British and US military intelligence predicted that Russia was about to fall within 2 months. Hitler was the most conservative : 4 months. Hitler 's generals sometimes were very pessimistic, like in 1938, during Czech crisis, Beck thought that Germany was doomed to failure when facing Czech and French forces. But after the collapse of France, his generals were much more optimistic because they began to think Hitler was always right in everything : Annexation of Rhineland without the intevention of the Western countries, so did Anschluss of 1938. The Western countries submitted to Hitler again in Czech crisis. When Britain and France wanted to resist Hitler during Danzig crisis, Hitler succeeded in gaining Stalin's friendship in Aug 1939, then Poland was overran within one months. then Scandanavia and the quick collapse of French army. German generals really believed Hitler 's campaign against Russia would success. But the war situation became worse and finally lost the war, they blamed all on Hitler.

Without the destruction of Southwestern Front in Kiev in Sept 1941, there were over 700,000 men threatening German flank if they marched into Moscow. If based upon French experience of 1940, Barbarossa was failure even though German captured 3.35 million Russian by Dec 1941. During French campaign, by June 4, 1940,( only 24 days after campaign began) 30 French divisions including three armored divisions, three light armored division and all seven motorized divisions plus Belgian and Dutch forces were destroyed ; 1.2 million allied soldiers were captured and BEF were driven out of Europe and lost all arms and were practically neutralized as they seldom had arms and vehicles for war.
On the other hand, When army group center thrusted into Russia, 500,000 Russian soldiers of the Western Front were trapped ; but only 287,000 were captured in Minsk and many Russian retreated into the rear and those in pocket resisted until July 10 1941. The blow was too soft to cripple Russian war machine ; Rundstadt in the south , failed to give a heavy blow to Russian in Galicia until Aug 1941 in Uman, In Baltic States, Russian succeeded in retreating into the rear even Leeb occupied Lithuania and Latvia by mid-July 1941.
Even after Russian were defeated in many battles in Smolensk, Roslavl, Kiev, Zhimomir, Gomel, Uman, Mariupol, Revel and Nikolaev but Russian have already raised 160 divisions in August 1941 after the destruction of first 200 divisions, when Vyzama battle was over in Oct 1941, another 700,000 Russian troop were raised plus the arrival of Siberian troops, made barbarossa doom to failure. In August 1941, German troop were sucked in Smolensk already. So by August, 1941, German were incapable of destroying the large number of Russian troop like French campaign, made the failure of Barbarossa inevitable.The key point of success were destruction of 200 Russian divisions in first twenty days of war before any Russian reserves were mobilized like the French campaign when the half of allied divisions were destroyed or neutralized, including some elite ones and French was unable to mobilize new divisions for war like in 1914.

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 15 Jan 2011, 16:50

butgen wrote:
Kelvin wrote:
My term "lack" is wrong, I use "shortage "of tank and SPW in Pz divisions in June 1944 is much better ; both 13. and 14. Panzer divisions only had two and one Pz IV operational respectively on June 1 1944, on the same day, 3. Pz division only had 13 Pz IV and 23 SPW ready for action and this Bear division 's armored infantry battalion (I./Pz.Gren.Rgt.3) and Panzer Aufklarung abteilung 3 was missing (refitting in Germany) 16. Pz division only had 26 combat ready SPW. 7.Pz division 's armored infantry battalion ( II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 6) and its own Flak abteilung were missing.(Refitting in Germany too)) Neither 12.Panzer division nor 20.Panzer division had their own panzeraukflarung abteilung ( Panzer Aufklarung 12 & 20) in the East ( refitting in Germany too.) Totenkopf only had 33 Panzer operatonal ( 2 x Tiger, 23 x Pz IV and 8 x StuG). Wiking Divison 's III./SS.Pz.Gren.Rgt. 9 Germania seldom had SPW at that time. Elite GroBdeutschland only had 60 SPW, 19 Tiger, 12 PzIV and 15 StuG in operational.18. and 20.PanzerGrenadier Divisons hardly had any StuG III on that day. SS.Frewilligen PanzerGrenadier Division only had 10 StuGIII and 5 Panther ready for action. You can see the Panzer divisions in the East were really in bad shape. The number of armored divisions were acceptable but their main problem were too many understrength panzer divisions. :(
You are overstating the case by focussing on divisions or parts of divisions that were weak.
This was the fact that you cannot deny that. 8O

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 15 Jan 2011, 18:21

von Butgen can deny everything .

ljadw

Ar

Post by ljadw » 15 Jan 2011, 18:59

Kelvin wrote:
butgen wrote:
ljadw wrote:
butgen wrote:
re were no roads,
With regard to direction of war, Hitler main targets were on Leningrad and Ukraine. Moscow was his general's target. Hitler compromised with three routes. Hitler's generals were optimistic than Hitler himself. Halder suggested the collapse of Russia within 14 days. Both British and US military intelligence predicted that Russia was about to fall within 2 months. Hitler was the most conservative : 4 months. Hitler 's generals sometimes were very pessimistic, like in 1938, during Czech crisis, Beck thought that Germany was doomed to failure when facing Czech and French forces. But after the collapse of France, his generals were much more optimistic because they began to think Hitler was always right in everything : Annexation of Rhineland without the intevention of the Western countries, so did Anschluss of 1938. The Western countries submitted to Hitler again in Czech crisis. When Britain and France wanted to resist Hitler during Danzig crisis, Hitler succeeded in gaining Stalin's friendship in Aug 1939, then Poland was overran within one months. then Scandanavia and the quick collapse of French army. German generals really believed Hitler 's campaign against Russia would success. But the war situation became worse and finally lost the war, they blamed all on Hitler.

Without the destruction of Southwestern Front in Kiev in Sept 1941, there were over 700,000 men threatening German flank if they marched into Moscow. If based upon French experience of 1940, Barbarossa was failure even though German captured 3.35 million Russian by Dec 1941. During French campaign, by June 4, 1940,( only 24 days after campaign began) 30 French divisions including three armored divisions, three light armored division and all seven motorized divisions plus Belgian and Dutch forces were destroyed ; 1.2 million allied soldiers were captured and BEF were driven out of Europe and lost all arms and were practically neutralized as they seldom had arms and vehicles for war.
On the other hand, When army group center thrusted into Russia, 500,000 Russian soldiers of the Western Front were trapped ; but only 287,000 were captured in Minsk and many Russian retreated into the rear and those in pocket resisted until July 10 1941. The blow was too soft to cripple Russian war machine ; Rundstadt in the south , failed to give a heavy blow to Russian in Galicia until Aug 1941 in Uman, In Baltic States, Russian succeeded in retreating into the rear even Leeb occupied Lithuania and Latvia by mid-July 1941.
Even after Russian were defeated in many battles in Smolensk, Roslavl, Kiev, Zhimomir, Gomel, Uman, Mariupol, Revel and Nikolaev but Russian have already raised 160 divisions in August 1941 after the destruction of first 200 divisions, when Vyzama battle was over in Oct 1941, another 700,000 Russian troop were raised plus the arrival of Siberian troops, made barbarossa doom to failure. In August 1941, German troop were sucked in Smolensk already. So by August, 1941, German were incapable of destroying the large number of Russian troop like French campaign, made the failure of Barbarossa inevitable.The key point of success were destruction of 200 Russian divisions in first twenty days of war before any Russian reserves were mobilized like the French campaign when the half of allied divisions were destroyed or neutralized, including some elite ones and French was unable to mobilize new divisions for war like in 1914.[/quote
Atraditional and not wrong POV,bt ,IMHO,it is approaching the subject from the POV:what could the Germans have done to make Barbarossa a suces,and,IMHO,with some exageration,one can answer :nothing,because,success or failure of Barbarossa depended essentially of what the Red Army could and would do :
1)would the Red Army accept the battle or would it retreat in the wide Russian steppe?If the Red Arme would retreat,it would be VERY BAD for the Germans,because the deciding victory on thr Red Army would be postponed and stay out ;don't forget that the Germans were fighting with a watch:every hour was counting,if ,at the end of august,the Rad Army was not defeated,all German victories after august would be futile,because not decisive .Fortunate for the Germans,the Red Armly accepted the battle .
2)would the Red Army succeed into mobilise quickly its enormous reserves ? If it could,game was over for the Germans :the decisive blow had to be dealed at the frontiers,and in the first ten weeks .Germany would not be strong enough to deal another decisive blow after august and some 600 km in the Russian inland .The Germans gambled that ,as in 1914,the Russian force generation would be slow,and,even to slow .But,they were wrong:the Russian mobilisation started immediately and on large-scale;on an average,the Russians were sending monthly 1 million men to the fronth .
Even ,without the Russian mobilisation,Barbarossa would fail,if the Red Army had refused the battle (and vice-versa) .That's why I am very sceptic about the big importance of the German mobile warfare capacity :in the first 10 weeks the Germans took 1.5 million POW,but the result was that the Red Army was stronger than in june .

butgen
Banned

Post by butgen » 15 Jan 2011, 19:03

Kelvin wrote:

You are overstating things. There was no enthusiasm in the german army when the intention to attack the USSR was announced. Germany did not have the resources to go for two objectives let alone three.
And german commanders had particular disagreements with Hitler during the war. These were not invented post facto.

butgen
Banned

Post by butgen » 15 Jan 2011, 19:17

Kelvin wrote: Without the destruction of Southwestern Front in Kiev in Sept 1941, there were over 700,000 men threatening German flank if they marched into Moscow. If based upon French experience of 1940, Barbarossa was failure even though German captured 3.35 million Russian by Dec 1941. During French campaign, by June 4, 1940,( only 24 days after campaign began) 30 French divisions including three armored divisions, three light armored division and all seven motorized divisions plus Belgian and Dutch forces were destroyed ; 1.2 million allied soldiers were captured and BEF were driven out of Europe and lost all arms and were practically neutralized as they seldom had arms and vehicles for war.
Even after Russian were defeated in many battles in Smolensk, Roslavl, Kiev, Zhimomir, Gomel, Uman, Mariupol, Revel and Nikolaev but Russian have already raised 160 divisions in August 1941 after the destruction of first 200 divisions, when Vyzama battle was over in Oct 1941, another 700,000 Russian troop were raised plus the arrival of Siberian troops, made barbarossa doom to failure. In August 1941, German troop were sucked in Smolensk already. So by August, 1941, German were incapable of destroying the large number of Russian troop like French campaign, made the failure of Barbarossa inevitable.The key point of success were destruction of 200 Russian divisions in first twenty days of war before any Russian reserves were mobilized like the French campaign when the half of allied divisions were destroyed or neutralized, including some elite ones and French was unable to mobilize new divisions for war like in 1914.
The german army performed as well against the USSR as against France. Only the opponent was much stronger and had a lot more space. The strength of the enemy army was also understimated. Germany had doubled the number of panzerdivisions but that did not mean that the number of tanks was doubled as the tankstrength of the divisions was halved.
As much was achieved as could be achieved not taking into account the possible effects of going against Moscow instead of Kiev in august.

butgen
Banned

Re: Ar

Post by butgen » 15 Jan 2011, 19:22

ljadw wrote:
the fronth .
Even ,without the Russian mobilisation,Barbarossa would fail,if the Red Army had refused the battle (and vice-versa) .That's why I am very sceptic about the big importance of the German mobile warfare capacity :in the first 10 weeks the Germans took 1.5 million POW,but the result was that the Red Army was stronger than in june .
It is the panzer and motorized divisions that achieved the breakthroughs and encirclements and mobilized reserves do not have the same combat value as active units. 8O

butgen
Banned

Post by butgen » 15 Jan 2011, 19:24

ljadw wrote:von Butgen can deny everything .
You can continue to play your silly game of making wild and unsourced allegations. :lol:

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 15 Jan 2011, 19:35

The German generals did quarrel with Hitler on main direction of attack during the war. Although there were three routes , German generals always wanted the main axe of attack on Moscow on the ground that Moscow was the politcial, economic and military center which attracted the main Russian forces for final showdown. Hitler targets were Leningrad and Ukraine, the former was the symbol of Russian communism and the latter was of vital importance in German war economy eg. grain in Ukraine, coal mines in Donbass, iron ore in Krivov Rog, Manganese ore in Nikopol and large industrial plant and deny Russian using Crimea as air base to attack Polesti oilfield in Romania.

There were enthusiasm in German army as you see Halder's diary who was chief of staff of Heer at that time. He said after eleven days of the start of that campaign that there were no exaggeration to say that campaign against Russia was won in 14 days. He was extremly optimistic over the Russian campaign. By July 31 1941, German three army groups captured nearly 800,000 Russian ( after 40 days of campaign) but in French campaign, by June 4 1940, 1.2 milllion allied soldier were captured plus another 340000 BEF soldiers were driven out and stripped of all their weapon. ( after just 24 days of that campaign). so on Aug 11, 1941, Halder admitted that they underestimated that Russian colossus.

Halder 's dairy had that and many books also quoted his sentences.

butgen
Banned

Post by butgen » 15 Jan 2011, 19:45

Kelvin wrote:The German generals did quarrel with Hitler on main direction of attack during the war. Although there were three routes , German generals always wanted the main axe of attack on Moscow on the ground that Moscow was the politcial, economic and military center which attracted the main Russian forces for final showdown. Hitler targets were Leningrad and Ukraine, the former was the symbol of Russian communism and the latter was of vital importance in German war economy eg. grain in Ukraine, coal mines in Donbass, iron ore in Krivov Rog, Manganese ore in Nikopol and large industrial plant and deny Russian using Crimea as air base to attack Polesti oilfield in Romania.

There were enthusiasm in German army as you see Halder's diary who was chief of staff of Heer at that time. He said after eleven days of the start of that campaign that there were no exaggeration to say that campaign against Russia was won in 14 days. He was extremly optimistic over the Russian campaign. By July 31 1941, German three army groups captured nearly 800,000 Russian ( after 40 days of campaign) but in French campaign, by June 4 1940, 1.2 milllion allied soldier were captured plus another 340000 BEF soldiers were driven out and stripped of all their weapon. ( after just 24 days of that campaign). so on Aug 11, 1941, Halder admitted that they underestimated that Russian colossus.

Halder 's dairy had that and many books also quoted his sentences.
Halder is not the german army. Lower down the enthusiasm was rather muted.
The army command wanted to try to defeat the soviet army by going for the capital which would hopefully lead to a decisive battle.. Anyway germany did not have the means to go for two objectives.
And your comparison of numbers of prisoners is flawed because when a country capitulates you get its whole army as prisoners in one blow.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”