Effect of Naval barrages and air bombing on german tanks

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Ulater

Effect of Naval barrages and air bombing on german tanks

Post by Ulater » 25 Mar 2017, 14:06

Hello,

I wanted to ask if there is any photo evidence, or data on what a naval bombardment or an airstrike can do to a tank. I read many times that naval bombardment was capable of overturning a Tiger, but I have never seen an actual photo of this happening. I have also seen a few photos of Tigers, Panthers and Jagdpanthers apparently overturned by bombing, but in the end it was just vehicles that drove off the road and flipped over, or were pushed off by a bulldozer.

Simo Hayha

Re: Effect of Naval barrages and air bombing on german tanks

Post by Simo Hayha » 24 Apr 2017, 04:57

somewhere on this forum is a study on the tigers that received a naval barrage around caen/hill112 area. I'm almost certain a photo exists of a tiger turned over by a shell. ahh here is is. hope i can post links on this forum. http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/s ... 122&page=4

Simo Hayha

Post by Simo Hayha » 24 Apr 2017, 05:04

AloeSS

Post by AloeSS » 29 Apr 2017, 18:49

Simo Hayha wrote:somewhere on this forum is a study on the tigers that received a naval barrage around caen/hill112 area. I'm almost certain a photo exists of a tiger turned over by a shell. ahh here is is. hope i can post links on this forum. http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/s ... 122&page=4
please read the thread you linked!

''Victims of heavy bombers on 18/7/44 during GOODWOOD.''
''This is Tiger 313 of S. Pz Abt 503 commanded by FW Sachs. It was flipped over by a 500 lb bomb near miss. Two crew were killed Sachs survived. It took rescuers several hours to dig their way to the rear turret escape hatch and get the survivors out...''

not naval bombardment...

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 30 Apr 2017, 19:13

The answer depends on whether your question is what the naval bombardment can do, and what it did do. Some of the large-caliber shells contained about half a ton of explosives, which would have had no problems flipping over a tank (or even completely disintegrating it). Tanks are quite small compared to battleships, however, and actually hitting a tank that can't be seen at the time of firing is much less certain.

Denniss

Post by Denniss » 01 May 2017, 19:37

Reminds me of the claim that a Sturmtiger round flipped-over and/or destroyed 3 Shermans.

Ulater

Post by Ulater » 04 May 2017, 18:49

The answer depends on whether your question is what the naval bombardment can do, and what it did do.
Well, there is always somebody thinking that it could flip tanks over, but is there any evidence of it?

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”