Sdkfz 251/8-I - Krankenpanzerwagen. Armoured ambulance

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
MikeSemann

Sdkfz 251/8-I - Krankenpanzerwagen. Armoured ambulance

Post by MikeSemann » 10 Feb 2008, 10:35

Does anyone have a source(s) of photographic detail, particularly the interior and stretcher racks, of the 251/8 Krankenpanzerwagen?

The only source of any photos (all exterior and of very poor quality) that I have unearthed thus far is to be found in the Standard Catalog of German Military Vehicles by David Doyle. Unfortunately, this is far from adequate for my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pietje

Post by Pietje » 10 Feb 2008, 13:08

Hi MikeSemann,

I have two links that have some interesting pictures on the sdkfz 251/8. Its not the best quality but its all i have found so far. :)

Aside from that i unfortunaly dont have any other pictures of the interior of this vehicle.

http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/medic/pzsanka.htm

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/pit/ ... /251-8.htm

I hope this helps you.

Pietje

wolfpaw518

Post by wolfpaw518 » 10 Feb 2008, 16:08

Mike

I researched this same subject a couple of years ago. I've found many pics of this vehicle with Red Cross markings, but only two of the inside and those are in the links above that Pietje posted.

neil

FKDeane

Sd.Kfz.251/8 Krankenpanzerwagen

Post by FKDeane » 10 Feb 2008, 16:39

Have you looked at Hilary Doyle's drawings in Panzer Tracts No.15-3?

In addition to a normal 1:35 four view drawing he has drawn the special equipment that converts a normal Sd.Kfz.251 in to an ambulance, mainly the frame for suspending the stretchers and the folding bar that holds a special canvas cover high enough so that an medical orderly can stand under cover. There is an interior photo and the usual history and organisational use.

Don't for get that the Panzer Tracts coverage of Sd.Kfz.251 is spread over two volumes so in No.15-2 there are four more photos of the Krankenpanzerwagen that show the interior details.

The Sd.Kfz.251 at Bovington is actually a Sd.Kfz.251/8 Ambulance captured in North Africa. Unfortunately, most of the special equipment is missing.

Fred

MikeSemann

Post by MikeSemann » 10 Feb 2008, 19:09

Many thanks for the outstanding photos and reference links! They are beyond anything I thought available, and I'm indebted to you all. I see some of you even replied to this same inquiry on other, related boards! ;)

Cheers, and again thank you.

tigre

Re: Sdkfz 251/8-I - Krankenpanzerwagen. Armoured ambulance

Post by tigre » 26 Feb 2019, 01:02

Hello to all :D; a query...............................................

mittlerer Krankenpanzerwagen (Sd. Kfz. 251/8).

Serial production of the mittlerer Krankenpanzerwagen (Sd. Kfz. 251/8) – an armoured ambulance – started on the C model. Many older vehicles of the A and B models were retrofitted to m. Kr. Pz. Wg. It was unarmed and mostly marked with conspicuous Red Cross markings. In the interior there was a bench for slightly wounded and mountings for stretchers.

http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepage_ ... 51-08.html

The Ausführung C was manufactured beginning most probably in January 1941 but the Armored ambulance in the picture below was located in France 1940 and clearly it was an early model............

Source: https://www.ebay.de/itm/BUYMUC-LARGE-FO ... 0011.m1850

Serial production started on the C model and before? Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
Attachments
image016.jpg
Panzer unit by Sommepy.....................................
image016.jpg (91.19 KiB) Viewed 978 times

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”