tiger 1 ????

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
punkyto

tiger 1 ????

Postby punkyto » 12 Mar 2008 21:42

Hello friends!

What is this ???????? 8O 8O

the shadock

Re: tiger 1 ????

Postby the shadock » 13 Mar 2008 12:44

I don't know, I don't see any picture..

P-O

Gren-Schell

Postby Gren-Schell » 14 Mar 2008 17:57

A rectangular box... very nice one though! :D

Estuans

Postby Estuans » 14 Mar 2008 20:11

These are the only two Tigers I see on this guys photo album. I doubt these are the one he wanted us to see but who knows.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... a09613.jpg
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd20 ... ce_ita.jpg

Sander D

Postby Sander D » 14 Mar 2008 20:31

Hi

He want to show us a tiger1 picture ,in this case the picture is called mackinatiger .
I've looked at the pictures but none of them is called mackinatiger

This is the picture that he wanted to upload:
//i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/Martin_punkyto/mackinatiger.jpg

I think the picture got deleted.

Sander

punkyto

Postby punkyto » 14 Mar 2008 20:56

Hello
what is this on the side of the tiger 1

ChristopherPerrien

Postby ChristopherPerrien » 15 Mar 2008 00:17

It may be a rear view mirror folded down.

Rikard Hufschmied

Postby Rikard Hufschmied » 15 Mar 2008 10:15

punkyto wrote:Hello
what is this on the side of the tiger 1

It sure looks like those mounting points with unknown use found on some pictures of Panzers. They were also present on the Littlefield Panther when salvaged, the restoration crew has removed them pending confirmation on their use.

It is plausible that these mounting points were used for trails with additional stand off armor on the sponsons to protect the ammo stowage.

H.v.Holdt

Postby H.v.Holdt » 15 Mar 2008 20:20

Heres another one

Hartmut

http://www.tiif.de

punkyto

Postby punkyto » 15 Mar 2008 22:56

Very good picture hartmut thanks! :D :D :D

phylo_roadking

Postby phylo_roadking » 15 Mar 2008 23:58

Well, unless the the trial shurtzen had a matching boss...those aren't long-enough standoffs to reach out over the edge of the mudguards! What about some form of bolt-on point for chains etc. on railway flatcars?

Sander D

Postby Sander D » 16 Mar 2008 20:21

Hi

There have been alot of debating over the years,concearning these fittings.

There was a person who contacted Mr W.Trojca ,he told him:

Hi
For some days ago I took up the phone and asked Mr W.Trojca about the mounts on the Tiger and Panther,as he is Polish(lives in Germany)and has also been interested in this stuff : He said to me that the germans tested different types of-thats right-Schürzen on a training ground outside Warzaw in 43-44.In Poland ,he said the were a article about the recovered Panther with this mounts and one result was that an old man or woman said he/she was some sort of interpreter on that trainingground and confermed that the germans tested active different sort of schürzen.
Maybe it it just that simple? (without any physics lessons)I will call him in a near future and ask more-any questions to him ? Maybe his info. in this thing is more worth than his books,who knows?..ops..!
Best regards Mirko

I think whe have to wait untill more information will show up ,that will say that these fittings where indeed used for schürzen.

Till now its the best explenation.

Here are the debates over the years

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/me ... +-+Panther

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/me ... d+Tigers+I

http://www.com-central.net/index.php?na ... ic&p=36200

Heres a picture of the littlefield panther when it was recoverd.
Picture comes from the link a bove.

Cheers

Sander

webmill
Financial supporter

Postby webmill » 17 Mar 2008 01:57

The flanged side mounts on the Tiger I, should be three on one side, although only the forward two are seen here.The forward third flanged mounts appears to be improvised; while all others may only be two side mounts such as on the Panther;
Interestingly the forward improvised flanged mount seems to obscure driver vision port to that side- Why?
The forward improvised flanged mount appears slapped on without steady support; so the back two flanged mounts do the job and the third forward on is for extension only; and at the price of the driver vision port limitation;

Although the flanged mount has apparantly a hole in the center of it--how deep is the hole? for example, how much steel pole can be inserted into it?
, although limited driver port vision is of no consequence for rail transport.
Thus the side mounts are for standing off from the side of the Tiger and to be extended in front of the front hull also.
This eliminates adding shurzen side armor to deflect incoming rounds (unless one forces it on against its original purpose)

The forward extended mount being flimsy apparantly may be there for potential misleads as to the length of the Tiger in Hull down position,which now needs a somekind of long attachment on the mounts --where the limitation of the driver vision port is temporarily not important either.

Webmill

Michael Kenny

Postby Michael Kenny » 17 Mar 2008 03:14

The first photo posted has a small close-up of the first mount superimposed on the main picture. There is no blocking of the drivers visor.

webmill
Financial supporter

Postby webmill » 17 Mar 2008 03:58

Reply to MKenny

I did not say the forward falange mount on the front hull blocked the forward vision of the driver, but obviously there is a limitation to the side from the drivers visor; Heres how; the total width of a Tiger I is 28'5" and track width subtracts 28.5' from the side where we see the mounts. Now measure the tracks attached to the front lower hull of the Tiger in the picture; you will see that the end of the forward flange mount on the rectangle plate can be extrapolated down to about the third track stub (of the track link) of the extra armor track placed on the lower hull. Three track stubs are approx 16" to 19"; subtract this from the center hull width and you will see the front vision of the drivers visor is not blocked by the rectangle of the forward flange mount, but side vision is limited --
note on the other side of the main gun are branches for camoflage and the Tiger I is preparing for ambush combat; in addition the camoflage branches cause a hinderance to the drivers vision on the other side; but this is of no consequence as for a Hull Down Position the driver only needs to drive forward;
note ; to back out of the Hull down position; then if necessary the temporary side attachments on the side mounts including the forward mount which I deduce were used as a dupe to throw off an enemy tanks aim, most likely,can be easily removed from the Tiger by the crew. as the deduction is these side mounts hold an attachment/siding that can be temporary ; The forward mount being flimsy can be done away with; but the back two mounts on the side, like the Panther tank, remain on the side, and used again for their original purpose.
Looks like the German Tiger crew do not get to any of this; but they were working on it apparantly

Webmill
Last edited by webmill on 17 Mar 2008 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”