Panzers III/IV, IV/V, V/VI

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
buckhead

Panzers III/IV, IV/V, V/VI

Post by buckhead » 24 Mar 2011 23:40

Hello everyone, :milsmile:

I'm a German military vehicle tank enthusiast and I was having trouble finding some information on the tanks in the title.

I know kinda about the The panzer III/IV that is was a cross between the Panzer II and the panzer IV trying to find a vehicle to combat the T-34 more or less.

But that's where the search ends. I know that the Other two vehicles were experimental but its still hard to find information on them.

If you guys know any more information about these 1-3 vehicles, i would like to know your knowledge and where your getting the information on these vehicles.

Thanks, :milwink:

Peter jarvah

Re: Panzers III/IV, IV/V, V/VI

Post by Peter jarvah » 25 Mar 2011 02:08

Hello,

I believe that the "panzer III/IV" you are refering to is actualy the 8.8cm paK43 auf Fahrgestell panzerkampfwagon (sf) also known as the Nashorn. This is not a tank. It is self propelled antitank gun on a hybred III/IV chasis. The same chasis was used for the Hummel self propeled howitzer.

The "panzer IV/V" may be the Panzer IV/70(V) sdkfz 162/1 which was a tank destroyer.

I have no information on a Panzer V/VI.

Hope this helps.

REF: Encyclopedia of Germn Tanks
Peter Chamberlain and Hilary L. Doyle
Arco Publishing

Peter

John Winner

Post by John Winner » 25 Mar 2011 03:10

I agree, we will need a little more information on what you are looking for before any real help can be given.

John

Luftflotte2

Post by Luftflotte2 » 25 Mar 2011 04:04

By any chance is this one of the vehicles of interest?

Panzer V/IV excerpt goes with pic 3.
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums ... p?th=21310
it was a recovery Panther D fitted with the turret from an early Panzer IV H used by the 653rd in Silesia during mid/late 1944, the turret was fixed in place so the tank was employed in the same way as a stug which the unit was equipped with before getting the Elefant. The vehicle in front is as Marshal said one of the Tiger P tanks, it was supplied to the unit for use as a command vehicle and as far as I'm aware the only one to make it into active service.

See here for a plate of a Panzer IV/V combination.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=24446&start=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FKDeane

Post by FKDeane » 25 Mar 2011 12:00

Recently there was discussions about the re-release of the Panzer IV book was the last book in Spielberger series. I got a German language version a few weeks ago but it appears that Schiffer in the US are bringing out an English language version. Like all Spielberger books there is a lot on the development and project vehicles. There is a chapter on the proposals for the Pz.Kpfw.IV/IV. It seems the primary motivation was to standardize on the Pz.Kpfw.III/StuG transmission. This required a complete redesign /enlargement of the armoured hull. This was done in the case of the Hummel/Nashorn but was not so easy in the Pz.Kpfw.IV but resulted in a very complex sloped armoured superstructure proposal.

There is a 5 view drawing of the Pz.Kpfw.III/IV by Hilary Doyle

Hope this helps
Fred

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”