Panzer IV lang with extra armour without cut for KFF2

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
deckarudo

Panzer IV lang with extra armour without cut for KFF2

Post by deckarudo » 13 May 2017, 18:29

Hi!

I was wondering if you there are evidences of Panzer IV Ausf. G or H with extra welded (I mean welded, not bolted) superstructure armour without the cut for KFF2 driver's periscope?

Here is what I supposed to be an example:

Panzer DB
panzerdb.com

Yoozername

Re: Panzer IV lang with extra armour without cut for KFF2

Post by Yoozername » 13 May 2017, 21:15

I believe that is a 80mm plate? maybe these pics will answer your question? The plate is machined for te MG and drivers vision device.

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/10/10/panz ... n-finland/

deckarudo

Post by deckarudo » 13 May 2017, 22:28

The upper cut-out for the MG ball-mount seems to be very close to the upper edge, contrary to standard 80mm tick front armour. Also, the drive wheel is from Ausf. G type. The front hull also seems to be made of 50 mm + 30 mm bolted (or welded, quite hard to tell from this blurry picture).
Panzer DB
panzerdb.com

Steve190

Post by Steve190 » 15 May 2017, 17:20

Could be wrong but that looks like a weld seam left and right below the drivers vision device. Nor do I see the bolt on the left side fender holder [picture view] but can see the end and location of where the bolt should be. Looks very flat like it was welded.

I believe I have seen a much clearer pic of this tank. I thought it was in Bruce Culver's Panzer Colors but couldn't find it.

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 16 May 2017, 02:04

Note the extra bolted armor does not completely encircle the MG mount on this bolted version.Image

8wheels-good

Post by 8wheels-good » 11 Jun 2017, 11:12

Welded armour without a cut out above the driver's visor indicates production during May 43. At some point during production all factories deleted the cutout in welded armour. Although as they started switching to the bolted version it did reappear again on both Krupp and Vomag, which probably indicated using up old stock because of supply issues.

Details of this change and many others in mid and late Gs relating to the different factories are detailed in my last book:

http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/5689172-pzkpfw ... y-producti

Craig (8wheels-good)

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”