Aufkl.Pz.Wg.38 vs. Pz.Sp.Wg.II Ausf. L "Luchs"

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Dubliner

Aufkl.Pz.Wg.38 vs. Pz.Sp.Wg.II Ausf. L "Luchs"

Post by Dubliner » 30 May 2017, 02:02

I don't have any real knowledge about how German reconnaissance units operated, and I was just wondering how the Aufkl.Pz.Wg.38 (Sd.Kfz. 140/1) would have compared against the Pz.Sp.Wg.II Ausf. L "Luchs" (Sd.Kfz. 123) in operation. Both had the same 2 cm Kw.K.38, but I guess the Aufkl.Pz.Wg.38 had heavier frontal projection, but lighter side armor and no real overhead protection for the Haengelafette. Apart from a slight armor protection advantage did either vehicle really have an operational advantage over a le.S.P.W. (2 cm) (Sd.Kfz. 250/9) Ausf.B? My impression would be that the Aufkl.Pz.Wg.38 was easiest to keep running in the field, but that the Sd.Kfz. 250/9 was much faster? Even though they lacked top protection, would the Aufkl.Pz.Wg.38 and Sd.Kfz. 250/9 had better visibility/situational awareness with their Haengelafette 2cm turret? Any thoughts? I'm making a lot of assumptions that might not be valid.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”