Borgward Unit in Berlin 1945

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Skywalk88

Borgward Unit in Berlin 1945

Post by Skywalk88 » 08 Dec 2017, 20:46

I am not sure if this is the correct index to post my request, but I am seeking to identify the location and personnel in this photo. The unit is Panzer Vernichter Abteilung 1 and we have several senior officers inspecting the B IV, one with a large scar across the left side of the face and another with scarring on the right side from burns, plus several others. I believe this was taken in Berlin 1945 and the officers are from the Stab in charge of the defence of the city. There are records showing 6 BIV were assigned to the security detail - from research I did in 2010, yet i just found this photo for the first time a few days ago.

I can verify that the driver of the BIV being inspected and whom is standing at the far right of the photo, is in fact my Father. His gunner died in battle and their B IV was destroyed, my Father survived though gravely injured.

=0]borgward-b-iv-ausfc3bchrung-mit-rpzb-54-wanze-3.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
borgward-b-iv-ausfc3bchrung-mit-rpzb-54-wanze-3.jpg

Toadboy

Re: Borgward Unit in Berlin 1945

Post by Toadboy » 11 Dec 2017, 09:53

Hello

Sorry I can't provide any details regarding this mystery unit. There are well known pics on the internet of these 'last ditch' vehicles after the Berlin Battle. However myself (and many other members) would love to view any information you have found from your research. Pretty amazing that it's your father in the image. Regards Paul

schwarzermai

Post by schwarzermai » 11 Dec 2017, 18:08

some infos & photos you will find here

https://www.amazon.de/Jaugitz-Funklenkp ... lenkpanzer

Uwe
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=223633

My Bookproject: "Organisationsgeschichte der deutschen Heeresartillerie im II. Weltkrieg"

http://balsi.de/Heeresartillerie/

Rnox

Post by Rnox » 12 Dec 2017, 16:27

OK for the man with a large scar across the left side.
But the second man is fine.
another one.

Skywalk88

Post by Skywalk88 » 13 Dec 2017, 01:31

Yes you are correct, this image is much clearer. I assume this is in Berlin and the same photo appears in a book "Panzers in Berlin"

Can anyone identify the ranks of those present? Could this picture actually be from the Madeburg-Grommern armor ordanace depot where the crews received the B IV and training on the use of the rocket launchers?

What do we make of the building in the background, possible storage sheds for the panzers?

Xavier

Post by Xavier » 13 Feb 2019, 04:33

a couple years ago another borgward surfaced during an excavation in the area..anyone has more info regarding this find..?
(link to news, etc)

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”