Panzer I turret markings

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
luckystrike78

Panzer I turret markings

Post by luckystrike78 » 13 Feb 2018, 20:09

Does anyone know the sense of these checked turret markings. One can find them during manouvers 1936 - 1937/38. My first thought was simply to distinguish the different parties but I have strong doubts now.
Attachments
Unbenannt-1 Kopie.jpg
Unbenannt-1 Kopie.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 829 times

Hoss65

Re: Panzer I turret markings

Post by Hoss65 » 14 Feb 2018, 18:36

I have seen a photo in a book with a caption that described them as an umpire's vehicle markings during a military exercise. Unfortunately I cannot recall which book and can't find it or the photo at the moment. There is another photo in Squadron Signal Publications book Panzer Colours 2, page 6, which show a Panzer I ausf A with the same checkerboard markings as your picture of a Panzer I turret. There it is described as indicating the company HQ platoon of a tank regiment. According to the book it was not used "for long" as colour-coding companies and platoons was not made standard practice and the now familiar numbering system was adopted instead.

luckystrike78

Re: Panzer I turret markings

Post by luckystrike78 » 14 Feb 2018, 19:22

Thanks for your reply. I have a lot of these pics in my archive and I can exclude both book-opinions.

It has something to do with manouvre - that is for sure. Ap. 1/3 of the tanks (not all) are marked this way - mostly one or two in a platoon (most liekely in all of the companys). It was obviously important to show it to the side and back of the tank - not so much at the front. So I conclude a marking for own forces or manouvre control (referees). It something remebers me to modern crash test vehicle:
Attachments
Bsp.jpg
Bsp.jpg (53.54 KiB) Viewed 756 times

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”