Gammon Bomb

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Brady

Gammon Bomb

Post by Brady » 19 Jun 2018 17:35

Hi-

It is often noted that the Gammon bomb, and just Blocks of TNT were used as Anti Tank weapons, its been my long time understanding that these devices were not at all effective on the whole, but I don't have any solid numbers to actually confirm this, the lack of such references in my many books suggests that they were so ineffective as not be "counted" but I thought I would ask if anyone had something more concreate at their disposal and if they could share it hear.

TY

Brady

Re: Gammon Bomb

Post by Brady » 25 Aug 2019 15:54

Punt

bam

Post by bam » 27 Aug 2019 00:56

Aside from just trying to disable tanks by using HE to wreck their tracks, wheels, optics etc... If you look up "squash head" rounds, you can find out more about the idea of defeating armor not by penetration, rather by using an external explosion in contact with the outer armor to blow off a large, supersonic 'scab' from the inside of the armor plate. I think it's something to do with the shock wave causing the inner edge of the armor to detach. The scab then kills the crew like a fragmentation bomb. But there's no hole.
If you've ever seen the old 70s executive desktop toy, where 5 silver balls are suspended on threads, and if you let the lefthand ball strike the 4 hanging ones, then only the right hand ball is moved. It's that principle in action, I was told.

Brady

Post by Brady » 09 Sep 2019 15:53

I came across this:

But its hardly definitive:

And this, but again, its hard to really determine the specific effect:

Presumably placement was key, or a key component, but the need to throw the device(s) onto the target, would make that a bit of a crap shoot, and give that most of the energy from these devices is going away from the armor... There not HESH after all

Again, I am looking for a specific reference for the penetrative powers if there is any, and if posable direct irrefutable evidence of there efficacy as an AT weapon.

Thanks, Brady

Mobius

Post by Mobius » 09 Sep 2019 16:28

I probably posted this under a different topic but it is of anti-tank grenades.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brady

Post by Brady » 09 Sep 2019 16:33

Mobius wrote:
09 Sep 2019 16:28
I probably posted this under a different topic but it is of anti-tank grenades.
That's actually interesting, for the HEAT AT grenades, and something else I was looking at, but What I am asking about is not a HEAT device, just HE

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”