Flammpanzers in Berlin 1945?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
dadlamassu

Flammpanzers in Berlin 1945?

Post by dadlamassu » 29 Sep 2018, 12:29

I have finished reading "Berlin Dance of Death" by Helmut Altner. In it he mentions "Waffen SS flamethrower tanks" several times. At first I thought that it might be a typo or a mistranslation. Then towards the end of the book he describes the thin (metal) sooty barrel and the fuel residue burning off. So I searched all my books and on the internet. I also searched the Forum and found lists of AFVs in Berlin by unit but none mention flamethrower tanks. Martin Block on "Feldgrau" gives a list of PzIII in service on 1 Jan 1945 (does not include any in the Ersatzheer) https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6256. From I can find all of the Flammpanzer 38(t) were in the west with PanzerFlammKompanie 352 and 353 I know that some tank regiments had a platoon of flamethrower tanks. Or maybe they were not tanks at all and were Sdkfz 251/16.

If someone who has Thomas L. Jentz & Hilary Doyle - Flammpanzer: German Flamethrowers 1941-1945 could check if any mention is made of FlammPanzers in Berlin I would be grateful. Please do not expend too much effort as is curiosity rather than research.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”