Hungarian armor... used by Germans?!

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
bertamingo

Hungarian armor... used by Germans?!

Post by bertamingo » 13 Dec 2018, 02:23

Just found this photo, with verhicles seemingly featuring German cross instead of Hungarian cross. Any idea? Could they be vehicles captured after Germans captured Horthy, or were these Hungarian vehicles using German cross for easy ID in battle?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Y42-ungarische- ... Swa1ZcBSbz

Sid Guttridge

Re: Hungarian armor... used by Germans?!

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Dec 2018, 15:11

I suspect the latter. Hungarian armour continued to serve beside the Germans long after the seizure of Horthy.

If you look at all the minor Axis air forces, they all used variants of the cross when on the Axis side to aid identification.

Cheers,

Sid.

bertamingo

Post by bertamingo » 15 Dec 2018, 06:01

Sid Guttridge wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 15:11
I suspect the latter. Hungarian armour continued to serve beside the Germans long after the seizure of Horthy.

If you look at all the minor Axis air forces, they all used variants of the cross when on the Axis side to aid identification.

Cheers,

Sid.
Thanks Sid, I think this is a reasonable explanation. internet sources have indicated that the aGermans assigned captured foreign equipment designations to most Hungarian AFV types but I doubt they, if true, were meant only for the temporary management of seized vehicles before they were returned to Hungarian units, who after all fought on as a German ally to the end.

Patrice DEBUCQUOY

Post by Patrice DEBUCQUOY » 27 Jan 2019, 16:06

Hello,

I think the cross seen in the photo is nothing but the Hungarian cross used from the Spring of 1941, but on B&W photos the red triangles tend to blend with the AFV's colour.
fels-k.jpg
fels-k.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
In November 1942 a new cross was used.
fels-l.jpg
fels-l.jpg (43.99 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
So sum up, you can find :
*Hungarian-made AFVs in 3 colours camo with the first version of the cross or the second one and license plate with the white background or "low viz" (without the white background),
*Hungarian-made AFVs in green with the second version and license plate "low viz".
*Imported vehicles are left in their original colours but with Hungarian markings.

Cheers,
Patrice.

bertamingo

Post by bertamingo » 29 Jan 2019, 06:33

Patrice DEBUCQUOY wrote:
27 Jan 2019, 16:06
Hello,

I think the cross seen in the photo is nothing but the Hungarian cross used from the Spring of 1941, but on B&W photos the red triangles tend to blend with the AFV's colour.
Hi Patrice, thank you for your opinion and the input. Yes I think you're right, after seeing very hard at the details, I've noticed slightly darker areas around the crosses, which seem to resemble circles, as the traditional Hungarian logo goes. These are indeed Hungarian vehicles. 8-)

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 29 Jan 2019, 21:28

Don't forget that in Poland the Germans used that solid white cross and it was still used in France to indicate a captured vehicle. Nothing whatsoever to do with the Hungarian marking of a black square/white cross which it predated by some time.
Alan

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”