T28 and KV-2 tanks in Stalingrad

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Zbynek

T28 and KV-2 tanks in Stalingrad

Post by Zbynek » 18 Apr 2020, 11:45

Hi,
I have just read a book " DEATH OF THE LEAPING HORSEMAN - THE 24th PANZER DIVISION IN STALINGRAD" and I found interesting and probably doubtful data in the book.
on page 481 it states that Panzerjäger-Abteilung 670 on the 5th September destroyed one t-28 tank and on 9th September another t-28.

What is even more interesting on page 332 there is a list of booty and prisoners in the time from 20th September – 31st October 1942 in which it claims one KV-2 tank destroyed.

Is this book reliable source of information? It is packed with detailed information, that's for sure, but... KV-2 and T-28 in Stalingrad?

bam

Re: T28 and KV-2 tanks in Stalingrad

Post by bam » 18 Apr 2020, 15:43

Justin Mark is usually VERY reliable...probably the most knowledgeable Western writer on Stalingrad subjects.

There were still a few T28 operational in 1942. The few I've seen mentioned were based in Leningrad, which because of the blockade was forced to re use old equipment. They still had T26 and BT7 in 1944! Then in Manchuria 1945, those 2 tanks were still around in a few secondary roles.

The KV2 is a bit more problematic. There were lots of different versions of the KV1, different armour and guns, and Germans sometimes mis identified these in reports as they didn't know the correct classification of the sub type they had found.
I remember reading a recent book about Citadel which listed an independent tank unit TOE of 10 KV2. I thought it was in Zamulins Demolishing the Myth, but Ive just had a quick flick through and can't locate it there. I'm certain I've read it somewhere.
There is a photo of a KV2 with German Infantry walking past, carrying MG42s (which only appeared in late 1942), which apparently comes from December 43 in Nevel. So that's a definite later KV2. But I've read German accounts which mention KV2 all the way upto Berlin and 1945. I suspect they are mis identifications, but they crop up throughout the late war.
Unless you see a photo, be sceptical. And remember, the KV2 was a huge impressive tank, and a lot of photos were taken by germans when they saw one. It was a very popular trophy photo in 1941, with often multiple images of the same one taken by passing Landsers and propaganda troops. So lack of photographic evidence of late war KV2 is telling...

Zbynek

Re: T28 and KV-2 tanks in Stalingrad

Post by Zbynek » 18 Apr 2020, 15:59

Thank you for reply. I susspected that it could be a single KV-1E which they took for KV-2. A bit too late for kV-2 and too early for KV-1s, I guess.
Its hard to imagine t-28 on the streets of Stalingrad, too.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”