Mystery Steyr Car M / K

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
ArmchairSamurai

Mystery Steyr Car M / K

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 06 Oct 2020, 02:24

Hello all.

I present another strange vehicle that I cannot verify. I found it scrolling through Yandex images and after reverse image searching through several different search engines, found the following Russian website; this stands to be the only source on this vehicle I have yet found.

http://voenteh.com/voennye-avtomobili/a ... 41-gg.html

From what I can tell, it was adapted from earlier Austro-Daimler ADMK and ADAT vehicles and was intended for use by the Fallschirmjager? There are three (?) different versions of this vehicle, one with wheels, one with tracks, and one half-track. This is the only picture of the vehicle that I could find.

Has anybody heard of this? Better yet, does anybody have a better source? Much obliged.

Armchairsamurai
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

kerryboo

Re: Mystery Steyr Car M / K

Post by kerryboo » 06 Oct 2020, 12:07

Hello ArmchairSamurai,
This is a very curious vehicle, thank you for posting it. The front wheels obviously pivot up and back into the recesses in the body side and the tracks, just visible here, are used alone. There are various modifications of the ADMK and WARK and of the Saurer RK and RR wheel/track vehicles, but what this one is is a mystery to me. I am very hopeful that someone out there can answer your questions, we will all be a little more knowledgable.
Thank you,
Kerry.

arminfreitag

Post by arminfreitag » 06 Oct 2020, 16:33

Hi,
In 1939 Steyr got the order to develop the type M/K as a further development of the ADMK.
It was intended for use in the mountain troops as a prime mover for light infantry guns and anti tank guns
as well as an ammunition carrier. It should also be used in airborne units. Its total weight was 1.6 tons and it
had a 45 PS 4-stroke engine. It could reach speeds up to 70 km/h on wheels. It could drive in 4 modes:
1. on wheels
2. as a halftrack
3. on tracks
4. on wheels in such a way that the tracks could also be driven to help navigate in difficult terrain and snow
The first prototype did not match the requirements and a second prototype was under construction to be
delivered in spring 1942. But the development was never finished.
Source: Walter Spielberger Die Halbkettenfahrzeuge des deutschen Heeres 1909-1945.
Regards
Armin
Attachments
Steyr-Versuchsfahrzeug M_K.jpg
Steyr-Versuchsfahrzeug M_K.jpg (111.8 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

ArmchairSamurai

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 07 Oct 2020, 01:30

kerryboo wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 12:07
Hello ArmchairSamurai,
This is a very curious vehicle, thank you for posting it. The front wheels obviously pivot up and back into the recesses in the body side and the tracks, just visible here, are used alone. There are various modifications of the ADMK and WARK and of the Saurer RK and RR wheel/track vehicles, but what this one is is a mystery to me. I am very hopeful that someone out there can answer your questions, we will all be a little more knowledgable.
Thank you,
Kerry.
Hello kerryboo,

Certainly. I have more where that came from. I am glad that there is a place where we can all come together to share our knowledge as well as our finds, and discuss the war in detail.
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

ArmchairSamurai

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 07 Oct 2020, 01:30

arminfreitag wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 16:33
Hi,
In 1939 Steyr got the order to develop the type M/K as a further development of the ADMK.
It was intended for use in the mountain troops as a prime mover for light infantry guns and anti tank guns
as well as an ammunition carrier. It should also be used in airborne units. Its total weight was 1.6 tons and it
had a 45 PS 4-stroke engine. It could reach speeds up to 70 km/h on wheels. It could drive in 4 modes:
1. on wheels
2. as a halftrack
3. on tracks
4. on wheels in such a way that the tracks could also be driven to help navigate in difficult terrain and snow
The first prototype did not match the requirements and a second prototype was under construction to be
delivered in spring 1942. But the development was never finished.
Source: Walter Spielberger Die Halbkettenfahrzeuge des deutschen Heeres 1909-1945.
Regards
Armin
Hello arminfreitag,

Thank you for the information and the source! I greatly appreciate it!

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”