Up-Armoured Opel Blitz Personnel Carriers?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Blorange

Up-Armoured Opel Blitz Personnel Carriers?

Post by Blorange » 24 Dec 2020, 21:37

Whilst other truck chassis seem to have been up-armoured in the field for use as armoured troop transports - I've yet to find any instances of the Opel Blitz used for this.

Most armoured Opel Blitz which I've came across have had only the cab armoured - and were used as a mounting for flak pieces. However as a category the Germans seemed find up-armouring other trucks for troop transport.

So does anyone have any examples of them existing? Or potentially were there reasons for this type of conversion not to take place? My theory is that the Germans (and other Nations using the chassis) had enough logistics issues finding trucks that the domestic ones would be preferably kept to their original role. Whereas foreign vehicles - perhaps seized outside of the supply chain - could be more justifiable for conversions for alternative roles.

Alas, I'd thought it worth asking in case my line of reasoning may be awry. Or if anyone has exceptions.

arminfreitag

Re: Up-Armoured Opel Blitz Personnel Carriers?

Post by arminfreitag » 25 Dec 2020, 18:07

Hi Blorange,
sorry I cannot really answer your question. You might be right with your assumption.
I checked my pictures of armoured trucks (not many) but found some of German trucks
but most are of Beute trucks. I found two pictures of Opel Blitz though which are used as
ammunition carriers in a flak unit. Since I do not know much about softskins I cannot identify them.
In some cases I think it is nearly impossible since you cannot see much of the truck underneath.
Anyway I will post some pictures and maybe somebody knows something about them.
Best regards
Armin
Attachments
truck armoured x.jpg
unknown armoured troop carrier
Opel Blitz Armour-plated.jpg
Blitz mun carrier
Opel Blitz armoured truck in Luftwaffe service.jpg
Blitz mun carrier
krupp_protze_362.jpg
Krupp Protze armoured troop carrier
krupp_protze_362.jpg (86.43 KiB) Viewed 2216 times
Krupp protze gep.jpg
Krupp Protze armoured troop carrier
Krupp protze gep.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 2216 times

arminfreitag

Post by arminfreitag » 25 Dec 2020, 18:09

Here are some more armoured troop carriers (?) to be identified.
Regards
Armin
Attachments
truck armoured.jpg
gep LKW xyz.JPG
gep LKW xy.JPG
gep LKW xx.jpg
gep LKW xx.jpg (57.57 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
gep LKW x.jpg

OldBill

Post by OldBill » 25 Dec 2020, 18:41

Anti Partisan vehicles? These remind me of the US gun trucks used in Vietnam to protect convoys.

Blorange

Post by Blorange » 26 Dec 2020, 02:06

Thanks. Those do help. And yes, I suppose that perhaps second line troops would wind up with this sort of equipment - with the better stuff making its way to the fronts (I've seen similar vehicles used by German troops in Yugoslavia).

Some of those images are unknown to me, and do at least give more of an idea of what may have been going. Those last images look rather like modifications made as recently as Ukraine or Syria - so I guess there's only so many ways you can up-armour a truck. :)

I'll take some ideas away from this. The basis of my question was providing my WWII figure collection with armoured vehicles - that aren't just more sd.kfz 251s or Italian armoured trucks. :)

nuyt

Post by nuyt » 09 Jan 2021, 23:21

arminfreitag wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 18:07
Hi Blorange,
sorry I cannot really answer your question. You might be right with your assumption.
I checked my pictures of armoured trucks (not many) but found some of German trucks
but most are of Beute trucks. I found two pictures of Opel Blitz though which are used as
ammunition carriers in a flak unit. Since I do not know much about softskins I cannot identify them.
In some cases I think it is nearly impossible since you cannot see much of the truck underneath.
Anyway I will post some pictures and maybe somebody knows something about them.
Best regards
Armin
What truck would that first one be? I am guessing not an Opel Blitz. The vehicle is a right hand drive, so in this case most likely Italian (though they drive on the right side of the road - if the picture is not inverted). There is also an Italian armored car to the right and this picture features on the front of a book on a SS unit in Italy. The truck would have a short cowl, but appears no COE. The cabin sits quite high though. Double rear wheels. Headlights still fitted, as is the starter handle. I am guessing early thirties, a Lancia RO NM perhaps, anybody?
Attachments
truck armoured x.jpg
truck armoured x.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”