What bullets hit this Sherman M4?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Paolo

What bullets hit this Sherman M4?

Post by Paolo » 10 Jan 2021, 13:04

Hi everyone,
can anyone help me to figure out what kind of bullets hit this Sherman M4 DW? I can clearly see a hole in the right element of the transmission skid plate, and perhaps a second shot just to the left. I think the tank only got frontal hits and then went completely on fire. Another question: with shots like this what was the fate of the crew?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Sherman photo 2 from web.jpg
Sherman photo 2 from web.jpg (186.88 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
Sherman photo 1 from web.jpg

critical mass

Re: What bullets hit this Sherman M4?

Post by critical mass » 10 Jan 2021, 18:34

It´s neither a HEAT hit nor an APCR hit, nor is it HE attack from the image. This leaves APCBC-HE as the most plausible culprit.

The amount of damage an APCBC-HE might do inside the tank is highly variable and depends on what exactly is in its way, as well as whether or not the HE-element went up inside the confines of the tank hull (sending splinters in lateral direction from breaking the shell up into a higher number of lateral small body pieces moving at high velocity and a smaller number larger base and nose pieces moving at low velocity.

Paolo

Post by Paolo » 10 Jan 2021, 18:59

Hi critical mass,
many thanks for your reply. Can you tell from the diameter of the hole what gun it can be? For sure it was a German gun and I believe the distance was a few hundred meters, maximum 600-700 meters.

Contender

Post by Contender » 14 Jan 2021, 05:44

It looks smaller than usual 5cm possibly?

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”