"Hetzer" (Jagdpanzer 38) Armor Quality, allegedly 50% the value of RHA?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Stiltzkin

Re: "Hetzer" (Jagdpanzer 38) Armor Quality, allegedly 50% the value of RHA?

Post by Stiltzkin » 01 Sep 2021 10:45

I don't think war thunder's russian game devs are fascist but the russian buffs are pretty ridiculous.-
Video games receive financial backing by the Russian Military Historical Society.

https://www.gamersglobal.de/news/77442/ ... zuschussen

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 01 Sep 2021 14:39

Contender wrote:
01 Sep 2021 09:50
Stiltzkin wrote:
01 Sep 2021 07:38
Video games can be a tool of propaganda too, especially if they are financed by a fascist regime.

I don't think war thunder's russian game devs are fascist but the russian buffs are pretty ridiculous.- :lol:
The most annoying buffs are the ones which aren't even sourced. IIRC German munitions (and only German munitions) get less effectiveness on slopes despite latewar German shells being specifically designed to be able to tolerate slopes. Meanwhile Russian 76mm short barreled can outperform the L/48 75mm against slopes...Grrr.

On the topic of the Hetzer however, I am still curious on the side armor of the vehicle, at 20mm it wouldn't have stopped much at all, shrapnel perhaps but not much larger. Was this 'normal' quality or shoddy?

critical mass

Post by critical mass » 07 Sep 2021 10:59

There is no evidence for passing of armor plate -any thickness- below specifications.
Only pilot models were sometimes fitted with unhardened steel plates and for this very reason declared unfit for combat.

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 07 Sep 2021 12:59

critical mass wrote:
07 Sep 2021 10:59
There is no evidence for passing of armor plate -any thickness- below specifications.
Only pilot models were sometimes fitted with unhardened steel plates and for this very reason declared unfit for combat.
So even the 20mm sides should be expected to withstand threats a 20mm plate typically would resist? Interesting.

I do know of the pre-production/prototypes which were sometimes made of mild steel for ease of manufacture.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”