Unarmored vehicle or trailer SdKfz 100? - Panzer-Division 44

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
militaryhistoryvisualized

Unarmored vehicle or trailer SdKfz 100? - Panzer-Division 44

Post by militaryhistoryvisualized » 09 Apr 2021 14:58

Hello,

in the listing for unarmored vehicles for the Panzer-Division 44 ("Soll an ungp.Kfz. einer Panz. Div. 44") there is a vehicle listed with the entry "Sd.Kfz. 100", which is rather confusing, since most sources note that 100-199 are used for tanks not unarmored vehicles. Furthermore, Keilig and Senger-Etterlin also reprinted "Sd.Kfz. 100". My first assumption was, maybe it is a misprint and it should be "Sd.Kfz. 10" since that would fit perfectly into it, the problem is that vehicle "ZgKw. 1 t" is two columns to the right. My second guess was, maybe it should have meant "Sonderanhänger" (Special Trailer) since the column left to it was "Anh." which is short for "Anhänger" (trailer), but there is also no "Sonderanhänger 100" from what I have seen.
There were only 6 (or 7 according to Senger-Etterlin) in the whole Panzer-Division 44, 3 in the Panzer-Regiment and 3 with the Versorgungstruppen.
A military historian I asked assumes it might be a placeholder, so far that is my best bet.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
MHV

SIS 5

Re: Unarmored vehicle or trailer SdKfz 100? - Panzer-Division 44

Post by SIS 5 » 10 Apr 2021 00:13

Hi MHV,

a possible solution is the mistake between Sd.Kfz. 100 and Kfz. 100. The Kfz. 100 was a Drehkrankraftwagen (revolving crane motor vehicle). These vehicles were used in the workshop company of the Panzerregiment and the maintenance batallion of the Panzerdivision.
Here a pic of such a vehicle (source: www.kfzderwehrmacht.de).

Regards

Bert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SIS 5 on 10 Apr 2021 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

militaryhistoryvisualized

Re: Unarmored vehicle or trailer SdKfz 100? - Panzer-Division 44

Post by militaryhistoryvisualized » 10 Apr 2021 00:18

Hi Bert,

thank you very much, that of course was too obvious for me :D yeah, that makes a lot of sense!!!

Cheers,
MHV

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”