Was the Stug.III the most successful German armoured vehicle of WWII?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
PanzerModeler

Re: Was the Stug.III the most successful German armoured vehicle of WWII?

Post by PanzerModeler » 24 Mar 2023, 08:02

I almost posted a separate thread but I have a StuG related question.

I am aware of talks to arm the Panzer IV with the 50mm L/60 gun as a response to the heavier Allied tanks, but was the StuG-III ever considered or prototyped with the 50mm L/60?

I am aware that it was never a production model.

Denniss

Post by Denniss » 24 Mar 2023, 13:28

highly doubtful. Its main task was infantry support so they needed something with a big boom and 50mm is not big enough for that.

PanzerModeler

Post by PanzerModeler » 25 Mar 2023, 07:16

Seems quite logical. I only ask due to the Panzer IV having largely the same intentions at the time yet being considered for the 50mm L/60.

Denniss

Post by Denniss » 25 Mar 2023, 19:59

They intended to switch the Panzer IV from an Infantry support tank to a real combat tank so had to find a gun with better Anti-Tank capabilities. The upcoming relatively cheap to produce StuG was supposed to take over the infantry support task from the rather expensive Panzer IV.

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 28 Mar 2023, 07:47

Personal composition when the Battalion was created :

It was very advantageous that a battery from an old and experienced field battalion could be made available as the backbone of the new battalion: the former 'selbstständige Batterie 660'. The Battalion Commander had led this battery for a long time during the French and Russian Campaigns. In this way, from the beginning, a certain tradition was created within the Battalion as well as an excellent feeling of belonging. Additionally, two Battalion chiefs originally came from that battery.

Most of the NCOs and troops assigned to the Battalion had voluntarily enlisted in the Assault Artillery. For this reason the fighting spirit, even on the most difficult days, has always been exceptional. There's always been a nice drive to get a spot on the combat squad. This has been the reason why the Battalion at all times has been able to immediately cover the casualties suffered among the crews of the assault guns. The fact that our Weapon is made up of so many volunteers is one of the reasons that explain the successes of the Assault Artillery. It should be mentioned, as it is surely a unique case in our Army, that a volunteer auxiliary with knowledge of the German language, after volunteering, serves with great success as a loader in an assault cannon.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”