APCR vs APDS

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Brady

APCR vs APDS

Post by Brady » 14 Sep 2022, 22:04

I would think that APDS would bounce or Shater more often than APCR when hitting at extreme angles, and that on the whole APDS would require more favorable angles to achieve a penetration than APCR would.

Is this assumption correct?

Peasant

Re: APCR vs APDS

Post by Peasant » 15 Sep 2022, 06:01

Brady wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 22:04
I would think that APDS would bounce or Shater more often than APCR when hitting at extreme angles, and that on the whole APDS would require more favorable angles to achieve a penetration than APCR would.

AFAIK, even the early APDS projectiles are more effective against sloped arlour than APCR designs, provided the mass of the core is the same.
As for the first part, yes, it seems that the APDS projectiles are somewhat more prone to shatter but not because of any specifics of their design, but simply because they are shot with higher velocities.

Brady

Post by Brady » 15 Sep 2022, 07:31

Peasant wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 06:01
Brady wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 22:04

AFAIK, even the early APDS projectiles are more effective against sloped arlour than APCR designs, provided the mass of the core is the same.
As for the first part, yes, it seems that the APDS projectiles are somewhat more prone to shatter but not because of any specifics of their design, but simply because they are shot with higher velocities.

So then when APDS Shatters is that not because it is striking at an extreme angle?

Or am I to infer that under similar angles of impact an APCR round would tend to bounce if it couldn’t penetrate but the APDS round would instead shatter ?

The take away then is that APCR is on the whole more accurate but less forgiving with regard to impact angle?

I’m curious how big of a difference are we talking about here with regard to impact angle how significant is it?

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 15 Sep 2022, 08:52

Early APDS suffered from inconsistent metallurgy causing things like shattering. This was simply an issue of where the state-of-the-art in metallurgy was in the 1940's. That has since been rectified. I would also think, at the time, that there were problems using it on highly sloped targets where it glanced off, failing to 'bite' into the armor.
That's simply an issue with design of what was a novel and very new round, rather than a poor idea.

Brady

Post by Brady » 15 Sep 2022, 15:32

I am specifically concerned with the six pounder and 17 pounder APDS vs German APCR rounds, comparing and contrasting the performance differences with regards to sloped armor.

Brady

Post by Brady » 15 Sep 2022, 20:35

Is there any range test data that can confirm the Similarity's in APDS and APCR performance angst Sloped armor?

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”