Was the Tiger 2's "Porsche" turret significantly less protected on the front than the older Tiger 1's turret? Why?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Contender

Re: Was the Tiger 2's "Porsche" turret significantly less protected on the front than the older Tiger 1's turret? Why?

Post by Contender » 10 Nov 2022, 11:48

ThatZenoGuy wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 08:40
Is there any indication that the "P" turret was altered in any way throughout it's production?
I do not know however other versuchs projects were certainly modified in subsequent variations V1, 2, 3, 4,etc. unless there is other information that contradicts this pattern it stands to reason that the thickness may not have been final and only applicable to the V2 prototype:
Tiger I turret example:

ThatZenoGuy

Re: Was the Tiger 2's "Porsche" turret significantly less protected on the front than the older Tiger 1's turret? Why?

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 10 Nov 2022, 11:53

Contender wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 11:48
ThatZenoGuy wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 08:40
Is there any indication that the "P" turret was altered in any way throughout it's production?
I do not know however other versuchs projects were certainly modified in subsequent variations V1, 2, 3, 4,etc. unless there is other information that contradicts this pattern it stands to reason that the thickness may not have been final and only applicable to the V2 prototype:
Tiger I turret example:
I know the Tiger 1 had it's turret modified over the production run, but it had 1300 vehicles to go through to get those changes.

The preproduction Tiger 2 turret was like 50 examples, for an optimistic Porsche Tiger 2 series.

Surely some sort of document would exist stating the turret was modified to a higher thickness?

Contender

Post by Contender » 11 Nov 2022, 12:49

ThatZenoGuy wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 11:53
I know the Tiger 1 had it's turret modified over the production run, but it had 1300 vehicles to go through to get those changes.
The preproduction Tiger 2 turret was like 50 examples, for an optimistic Porsche Tiger 2 series.
Surely some sort of document would exist stating the turret was modified to a higher thickness?
Within the production of ~50 the versuchs designation would have been dropped how thick would these be?

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 11 Nov 2022, 15:33

Contender wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 12:49
ThatZenoGuy wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 11:53
Within the production of ~50 the versuchs designation would have been dropped how thick would these be?

I'm not sure if the turret ever had enough production to have major modification, seeing as it was almost immediately replaced by a significantly better design.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”