Museums with Axis vehicles

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Polynike

Post by Polynike » 01 Mar 2004 21:57

from the tank museum at bovington
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 01 Mar 2004 22:00

another one from bovington
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 01 Mar 2004 22:04

one more..the beast

johnny_bi

Post by johnny_bi » 02 Mar 2004 04:46

The above link to the list of museums does not work... Could someone provide a list with the museum? There are any museums dedicated to WWII in Canada ?

Thank you.

THE AWFUL EGG
Location: BUFFALO,NY. Oskar Mayer/U.FeldW.(272 Fus.Btl./ODESSA)

Post by THE AWFUL EGG » 02 Mar 2004 06:44

WORTHINGTON PARK MUSEUM,C.F.B. BORDEN, WEST OF BARRIE ONTARIO, CANADA. OUTDOOR MUSEUM. WW2 TO 80'S.

AXIS STUFF INCLUDES HETZER(BEING RESTORED TO RUNNING)
PANTHER "A", FLAKPANZER IV (4x 20 MM)
75 MM PAK 40 (x 2) 75 MM PAK (L-71)

WILL CHECK FOR OTHER HIDDEN STUFF.

cbo

Post by cbo » 02 Mar 2004 17:47

Tolga Alkan wrote:Dear cbo,

What is the callsign number of this Panther located in Grandmenil?I suppose it was from 4/SS-Pz.Reg.2 and number could be in "420" period.

Best
Tolga

When the picture was taken, the tank carried the number "407", but that may have been added after the war. As I understand it, after the war, it was towed from a field just outside Grandmenil where the Germans had left it during the battle, but exactly why it had been left there or what had happened to it, I dont know. As I understand it, there is no direct connection between the Panthers found here after the battle and the actions by 4. Kp/SS-PzRgt 2 on December 24. in and around Manhay? So while it it most likely a 2. SS-PzDiv Panther, I dont think it can be pinned to company - unless of course the "407" is correct.

The tank has a lot of damage to the roadwheels, many are missing, others are damaged and there is what appears to be a small caliber HEAT penetration on the left side of the superstructure below the turret.

Claus B

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 02 Mar 2004 18:04

johnny_bi wrote:The above link to the list of museums does not work... Could someone provide a list with the museum? There are any museums dedicated to WWII in Canada ?

This link? http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=56

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 02 Mar 2004 19:15

THE AWFUL EGG wrote:WORTHINGTON PARK MUSEUM,C.F.B. BORDEN, WEST OF BARRIE ONTARIO, CANADA. OUTDOOR MUSEUM. WW2 TO 80'S.

I have that one listed, but please do check for more info on which Axis items they have.

/Marcus

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 02 Mar 2004 20:33

a few more from bovington

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 02 Mar 2004 20:37

a stugIII

johnny_bi

Post by johnny_bi » 04 Mar 2004 18:33

Marcus Wendell wrote:This link? http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=56

Now it is ok...
Thanks

BI

Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

Post by Tolga Alkan » 04 Mar 2004 18:46

cbo wrote:
Tolga Alkan wrote:Dear cbo,

What is the callsign number of this Panther located in Grandmenil?I suppose it was from 4/SS-Pz.Reg.2 and number could be in "420" period.

Best
Tolga

When the picture was taken, the tank carried the number "407", but that may have been added after the war. As I understand it, after the war, it was towed from a field just outside Grandmenil where the Germans had left it during the battle, but exactly why it had been left there or what had happened to it, I dont know. As I understand it, there is no direct connection between the Panthers found here after the battle and the actions by 4. Kp/SS-PzRgt 2 on December 24. in and around Manhay? So while it it most likely a 2. SS-PzDiv Panther, I dont think it can be pinned to company - unless of course the "407" is correct.

The tank has a lot of damage to the roadwheels, many are missing, others are damaged and there is what appears to be a small caliber HEAT penetration on the left side of the superstructure below the turret.

Claus B

Hallo,
Long time ago a friend from Belgium asked me somethings about Grandmenil.His grandfather's housed damaged during the battles,and one of panther(could be from Das Reich) destroyed in the front of house.There are some photographs he sent me,several shots of damaged house and the destroyed panther.He assumed it was from 4/SS,Pz.Reg.2,i dunno how he said that.He didn't mention about callsign number of panther,and its not visible to see number in the photograph.This "407" could be that panther which was destroyed in the front of house.

Best
Tolga

cbo

Post by cbo » 04 Mar 2004 19:50

Tolga Alkan wrote: Hallo,
Long time ago a friend from Belgium asked me somethings about Grandmenil.His grandfather's housed damaged during the battles,and one of panther(could be from Das Reich) destroyed in the front of house.

AFAIK, the only Panthers in the area during the battle did come from 2. SS-PzDiv "Das Reich", so the Panther in question probably belonged to that division.

Tolga Alkan wrote: There are some photographs he sent me,several shots of damaged house and the destroyed panther.He assumed it was from 4/SS,Pz.Reg.2,i dunno how he said that. He didn't mention about callsign number of panther,and its not visible to see number in the photograph.This "407" could be that panther which was destroyed in the front of house.[/

French writer Jean-Paul Pallud in his book Battle of the Bulge Then and Now has a long passage about the battle of 4. Kp/SS-PzRgt. 2 on December 24. around Manhay and Grandmenil, so that may be where he got it from. However, the same author clearly states that the "407" Panther was dragged from the field between Grandmenil and Manhay. Could be that he has talked to someone in the area who was present when the tank was placed in Grandmenil, I dont know.

There were several Panthers left in the Grandmenil-Manhay area after the battles between December 24. when 2. SS-PzDiv attacked there and December 27. when the Americans took back the villages. AFAIK at least ten Panthers were left there and at least two inside Grandmenil proper.

Is this the one your grandfather was talking about?

Claus B

Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

Post by Tolga Alkan » 05 Mar 2004 12:12

Hello,
Thanks for the good background information.Fedorowicz book company published two books on the same topic,Das Reich in Manhay and Grandmenil.I studied unit history of SS-Pz.Reg.2 in Manhay but i have only general informations for actions in Grandmenil.
Yes this is the photograph what i mentioned about.Its not related with my family,i had contack with a person from Belgium,who was grandson of owner this damaged house.He sent me another photos of this house and asked me what i know about it.Thats all.

Best Regards
Tolga
Last edited by Tolga Alkan on 06 Mar 2004 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 05 Mar 2004 20:17

Polynike wrote:a few more from bovington
At the Panther-pic (under the muzzle brake, with the skull & bones) there is a "Finnish" T-26.
Interesting.
I didn´t know about that earlier.

Thanks Polynike for sharing that pic :) Do you have any others of the T-26?

Regards, Juha

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”