Tank Destroyer Vs turret fitted tanks. Rotation speed?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Richard Stone

Re: Tank Destroyer Vs turret fitted tanks. Rotation speed?

Post by Richard Stone » 06 Aug 2020, 02:34

The M-36 tank destroyer has a listed turret rotation time (one complete 360 degree circle) of 15 - 20 seconds using its hydraulically powered turret turning gear. This turning gear should be the Oil Gear System. The information is listed in the M-36 Specification Report which was issued by US Army Tank Destroyer Command.

A copy of the M-36 Specification Report is available on the USA 1919 -1945 page of this website.
The same 15 - 20 seconds turret rotation time should apply to the full range of M-4 Sherman Tanks types since it appears all used the same Oil Gear System. However the M4A3E2 tanks may have longer rotation time due to the heavier weight of its thicker armored turret.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Brady

Post by Brady » 06 Aug 2020, 03:19

It is of assistance, and matches a refence I do have for the Sherman "M4" at 15 seconds.

Interestingly however the firefly is often noted as being a slower turner than the regular (75mm) Sherman, Although I don't have a specific reference for its turn rate.

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 06 Aug 2020, 09:36

Oh NO! My short ribs are straining...The M10 had no powered rotation.

fox3-6

Post by fox3-6 » 22 Aug 2020, 22:42

Warlordimi wrote:
11 Feb 2005, 16:15
I was wandering which tank would place itself in firing position for the same traverse, i.e. 90°. A tank with a turret or a tank destroyer turning on its track and then aiming with it's small azimuth capabilities?

Btw, does anybody knows what was the 360° rotation speed for a Panther?

TIA,

Best regards,

Dimitri

I could be wrong, but if a tank destroyer and a tank are oriented the same direction, and start at the same time to get their gun to bear at a 90 degree angle, I would assume all other things being equal, in almost all cases the tank is going to win.

The reason is - if i'm not mistaken - experienced tank crews did not simply rotate the turret. To orient the tank faster they rotated the turret and in addition rotated the vehicle itself, which is something I guess the gunner and driver coordinated. This is much faster than only turning the vehicle which is primarily what a tank destroyer does.

I guess it depends on which vehicles you are examining, perhaps a very light tank destroyer is quicker than a heavier tank. But again, all things being equal, a tank crew rotating the vehicle itself and also rotating the gun at the same time has to be much faster than just a vehicle rotation through a tank destroyer. My money is on a tank acquiring a target 90 degrees to the side much faster than a tank destroyer being able to do so - again, all things being equal, i.e. a tank and tank destroyer of same weight or something like that.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”