Vehicle identity requests

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Bill Murray

Re: Vehicle identity requests

Post by Bill Murray » 07 Feb 2013, 14:14

With all due respect guys, I believe it is the 1935/1936 Model here.
Ford built the US 1935 Model for two years and then a slightly modified US style car from 1937 to 1940.

The 1935/1936 German models used wire wheels as we can see on Kerry's photo and one I have attached here.
The US version switched to solid steel wheels in 1936 as did the German factory in 1937.

Bill
Attachments
Ford 1935 beute german 0110.jpg

fredleander

Post by fredleander » 07 Feb 2013, 16:45

Bill Murray wrote:With all due respect guys, I believe it is the 1935/1936 Model here.
Ford built the US 1935 Model for two years and then a slightly modified US style car from 1937 to 1940.

The 1935/1936 German models used wire wheels as we can see on Kerry's photo and one I have attached here.
The US version switched to solid steel wheels in 1936 as did the German factory in 1937.

Bill
Hi, Bill - I learnt to drive on my older Brother's 1936 Ford...:-)..(I was twelve). Your picture could be a '34 or '35, the '36 had a different grille. It was the nicest one. The picture in the link has a '37 grille. Of course, there could be variables between German and US production. Wheels could also have been interchanged.

The picture below is almost like my brother's - 1936 - different from the one in the link (his had, what we here call, a mother-in-law seat). As for the wheels, pictures I have seen of the '36 long base version (Phaeton) has also had spoked wheels. Anyway, Kerry's could be an earlier model, different from the one in the link.

Fred
Attachments
1936_Ford_convertible_2.jpg
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book about Operation Sealion:
https://www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - an eight-book series on the Pacific War:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 08 Feb 2013, 01:40

Hej Fred:

How interesting to hear that you learned to drive on a 1936 Ford. Don't know how old you are, but my first car in 1956 was a 1937 Chevrolet Coach Sedan.

Trying to sort out any of the American brand cars in Europe/Scandinavia can be challenging to be sure.

In the case of the photo I posted, I believe it is a coachbuilt car, probably Drauz, that may have been built on a 1935 chassis imported as a "chassis/cowl" without body. There were two grille designs for the 1935=1936 year model and I believe that the Ford cars produced in Germany as "complete cars", used the grille/motor hood louvres like the ones in your photo.

Just for fun, and thinking about American cars in Sweden, I am posting here two photos of my 1965 Cadillac that Volvo kindly paid for to have shipped to Sweden when I took an International Manager Job Rotation Program assignment there from 1974-1976.

When my next posting on the program was to Peru, I sold the car to Tage Jingnert, a resident of Floda if I remember correctly, who was then president of the Cadillac Club of Sweden. One photo shows the car in front of our home in Lerum and the other shows the car many, many years later in a Christmas card he sent me.

Aaah, the memories..........

Edit: let me try the photos again.

Bill
Attachments
Cadillic i Sverige001.jpg
Cadillic i Sverige001.jpg (78.33 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
My Cadillac in Sweden 0408.jpg

fredleander

Post by fredleander » 08 Feb 2013, 02:50

Hi, Bill....yes.....oooh, for the memories. One really learnt to drive on a car like that with the unsynchronized gear case, rod-activated brakes and direct steering. 6 volt electrics and the windshield wipers were pneumatically operated so that when the throttle was advanced they slowed down...Not much of heating. It was a convertible....

You know why the front bumpers on the '36 had the dip in the middle? Space to get the crancking handle into the engine room. Oh, yes, with the easily discharged 6 volt system I had to crank a lot. But, when it started it purred like a cat. Could put a full coffee cup on the top that flathead. I think that was why I was allowed to trail my brother and his friends on their nightly step-outs - the cranking. My father had a '52 Volkswagen (beetle - 24 hp.) with much the same (lack of) technical characteristics. My brother moved on to a '50 Ford custom coupe. Not that fun! One Summer me and my parents and my uncle and aunt went to Northern Norway in my uncle's '50 Ford sedan. Approximately 2500 kilometres with the return trip that was. Heavily loaded, the rear (leaf) spring and axle broke on a railway crossing North of Trondheim. Waited a week for spares from Southern Norway before we could continue. No problem, we were invited to set up our tent behind the car repair shop and mingled with the locals. As a young boy from southern Norway (Oslo) I was rather surprised to see how the children were allowed to stay up all night playing. In mid-summer it was never dark. It was a way to get back after the long dark winters.

Nice Cadillac! I am more like a Lincoln-man. Once I had 7 of them, '69-'84 (and 3 Mustangs). Now I have only one left, a '73 mk. IV, California-chopped, seldom used. That car has a story, it once posed as a fold-out car in the Hustler magazine together with Snoop Dog. Bought it from a Norwegian jazz musician in California. And a Chrysler Le Baron convertible which I only drive in Summer.

Take care. And on to other riddles.... :lol: ....

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book about Operation Sealion:
https://www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - an eight-book series on the Pacific War:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf

fireindi64

Post by fireindi64 » 11 Feb 2013, 09:01

Hello all,

I need help!!! I found this pic on e-bay but have no idea would it could be ???
Is it capured or german equipement? Looks very heavy and its a WH halftrack. Could it be some thing like a base for a mortar?

best regards
Henning
Attachments
mortar base.JPG

Sturm78

Post by Sturm78 » 11 Feb 2013, 12:29

Thank you very much for sharing this image, Henning. :D

This is a 15cm K39 gun firing platform trailer. This is the best image I have ever seen of this trailer. It shows the method of unloading the trailer.

See http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=145795

Regards Sturm78

Stanford9

Post by Stanford9 » 18 Feb 2013, 01:13

ROUGH NJG 4's war bounty Cadillac in Reims jpg.jpg
Hello Bill, hello all,

A very big thank you for your previous help with vehicle idents, they have been very helpful, this help has been acknowledged in my book, I won't plug it here, just tell you that it's published and going well.

OK, I've got a good one for you, Luftwaffe NJG 4's "liberated' Beute Cadillac, I think possibly a 1940 V12 75?? I'm fairly sure that the photograph was taken in Reims, NJG 4 was based just up the road at Juvincourt. I managed to buy this and another shot of the same car at the airfield today. Wish I'd had them sooner!

Guys, you know vehicles very much better than I do, I've probably got the modle wrong, as ever your advice will be really welcome.

Stuart
www.Perilous-Moon.com

Lynn R

Post by Lynn R » 18 Feb 2013, 07:44

I think that might actually be a Buick...possibly a 1938 Limited. The headlamp assembly looks to sit too high for a Cadillac.

Sturm78

Post by Sturm78 » 18 Feb 2013, 11:46

Hi all,

I am not sure.... Mercedes-Benz L4500 ??

Image from Ebay
Sturm78
Attachments
21.jpg

Hans 1942

Post by Hans 1942 » 18 Feb 2013, 12:56

Hi guys,

1. ?
2. ?

Images from http://waralbum.ru/tag/%D0%B3%D1%80%D1% ... %B8%D0%BA/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTJAm-qw7qQ

Hello Bill,
I want to thank You for Your concern about my health.To me all is well.
on February 15, I was at home.Evening called the grandson of the city of Chelyabinsk and told my mother that flew over the city meteorite.I told my mother that the grandson of talking nonsense.Later in the news I found out that over the Chelyabinsk flew meteorite.I live in the city of Kyshtym http://video.yandex.ru/users/z82/view/2/# which is located between the cities of Ekaterinburg (Sverdlovsk) (from Kyshtym 150 km) and Chelyabinsk (from Kyshtym 90 km).As I later learned, the meteorite flew from the Еkaterinburg through Kyshtym flew over the Chelyabinsk and fell into the lake Chebarkul.I think it flew over the city of Kyshtym very high.I have not heard the sound of flight.I have not seen a bright light.The meteorite is not damaged city of Kyshtym.The next day I learned from my colleagues that he was on the street and seen high in the sky trace the flight of the meteorite.Unfortunately that's all I know.

Regards

Andrej
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (147.39 KiB) Viewed 970 times
2.jpeg

Hans 1942

Post by Hans 1942 » 18 Feb 2013, 13:14

Hi Sturm78,

Mercedes-Benz L 4500 A.

Regards

Andrej

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 18 Feb 2013, 13:46

Hi Stanford:

Andrej is quite correct, 1938 Buick Limited Sedan.

Interesting vehicle, seems to have radio antennae on the top and what looks to be two speakers mounted on the front of the car. Perhaps a propaganda car???

Bill

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 18 Feb 2013, 13:53

Hi Andrej:

I am so happy you were not hurt by the meteor/ite. I was really worried because we did not hear from you for such a long time. Very sad for those people who were injured but it seems that no lives were lost which is almost a miracle.
I also feel very sorry for all those people who lost their windows in the freezing cold. I have read it may take months to get enough glass to replace all those broken windows.

Regarding your ID questions, the first one may be a Foden but I have to look further.
The second one is a Mack EXBX which was supplied in small numbers to both the British and the French.

Here is a drawing of the same truck. I forgot to copy the source and will edit my post in a bit.

Edit: Well, the source is indicated on the photo so all is well.

Bill
Attachments
MackEXBXwithValentineAndMaisky_small.jpg

Hans 1942

Post by Hans 1942 » 18 Feb 2013, 14:10

Hi Bill,

Thank You very much for taking care of the affected people.

Thank You for your help.

Regards

Andrej

drechsle

Post by drechsle » 18 Feb 2013, 22:25

Hello everyone !

Can anyone help me identify these cab doors from a truck ?

Regards Dirk
Attachments
unbekannte Tür Links.JPG
unbekannte Tür Rechts 02.JPG
unbekannte Tür Rechts 03.JPG

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”