Vehicle identity requests

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Bill Murray

Re: Vehicle identity requests

Post by Bill Murray » 07 Jun 2015, 12:40

Hi Larry:

Sorry, I did not intend to "steal" your photo, really. I got it long ago and I don't remember from where but as it is without watermarks, it may have been from some German Police enthusiast site. I don't think it was from ebay.

As to your collection, having seen your photos on a number of sites, I can say you have a really great assembly of high quality photos.
I wish you good luck in selling that portion of the collection.

Bill

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 07 Jun 2015, 12:46

Hi Max:

Regarding the Mussolini car, it is as far as I can tell, a Fiat 2800 Ministeriale which was produced both as a sedan and a cabriolet.
Every photo I have seen of both variants has been LHD and I have as yet not found out why. Other Fiat 2800 cars were all RHD as far as I have seen.

I am sure Mussolini would not have ridden in a Steyr............. For patriotic reasons, always an Italian vehicle :wink: :wink:

Below is another photo showing the location of the steering wheel.

Bill
Attachments
fiat 2800ministriale 0607 0615.jpg
fiat 2800ministriale 0607 0615.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 1627 times

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 07 Jun 2015, 21:02

Hi Andrey:

Thank you for your 2 suggestions.

I cannot yet find any version of the Büssing-Nag family that really matches my photo very closely.
On the other hand, the second one may very well be some version of the Fiat-Spa family. I continue to try to match that one.

Bill

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 07 Jun 2015, 23:39

Bill Murray wrote:Hi Andrey:

Thank you for your 2 suggestions.

I cannot yet find any version of the Büssing-Nag family that really matches my photo very closely.
On the other hand, the second one may very well be some version of the Fiat-Spa family. I continue to try to match that one.

Bill
Hi Bill,
Don't you think it could be a version of the 38R with this cab:
Attachments
jpud61.jpg
militaria.forum-xl.com
jpud61.jpg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Last edited by Maxschnauzer on 07 Jun 2015, 23:54, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Max

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 07 Jun 2015, 23:42

Bill Murray wrote:Hi Max:

Regarding the Mussolini car, it is as far as I can tell, a Fiat 2800 Ministeriale which was produced both as a sedan and a cabriolet.
Every photo I have seen of both variants has been LHD and I have as yet not found out why. Other Fiat 2800 cars were all RHD as far as I have seen.

I am sure Mussolini would not have ridden in a Steyr............. For patriotic reasons, always an Italian vehicle :wink: :wink:

Below is another photo showing the location of the steering wheel.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. You cleared up yet another mystery for this novice!
Cheers,
Max

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 08 Jun 2015, 00:17

Hi Max:

Novice my ***.
You are very good and getting better every week.

And, yes, I think you have found the proper 38R and thanks also again to Andrey for providing the first lead.

Bill

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 08 Jun 2015, 03:53

Bill Murray wrote:Hi Max:

Novice my ***.
You are very good and getting better every week.

And, yes, I think you have found the proper 38R and thanks also again to Andrey for providing the first lead.

Bill
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I believe Andrey was spot on with his 38R id. It's interesting because this was the Quiz subject Kerry posted very recently which I guessed incorrectly, you correctly. :D
Cheers,
Max

SIS 5

Post by SIS 5 » 08 Jun 2015, 19:42

Hi Bill,

to Your pic unknowngerman 5. I think I got the solution. Fortunately I could find another pic of this vehicle in my files, under GM trucks. But that was wrong. Becaus I checked all types of GM trucks, but it didn´t fit. So I went on with the search and ended up at REO. So it is probable, that it is a REO speedwagon model 1936. I have no pic of this truck, but an advertising of this year (source of the advertising: www.oldcaradvertising.com). But maybe You have a good pic of this model. That would be great.

Best regards

Bert
Attachments
REO 1936.png
REO 1936.png (323 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
REO advertisement.png
REO advertisement.png (557.03 KiB) Viewed 1512 times

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 10 Jun 2015, 21:21

Hi Bert:

Thank you for the answer and I apologize for my slow reply. For some reason, I missed your post.

I think you have the correct answer and in fact, I think the two photos may very well be the same truck. Notice the 'V" sign on the windscreen on both trucks. I cannot find what the "V" represents.

Although the body looks very "professional" , I now think it might be an umbau. The Reo marque was very popular in Norway and Finland and I have many photos of civilian vehicles and beute vehicles in those countries. However, if this vehicle came from there, it would not have had a body commissioned by those country's armed forces. They were also sold in Western Europe but not purchased by the armed forces as far as I know which leads me again to the possibility of it being an umbau, perhaps a one off.

The only other "interesting" photo I have of a Reo Speedwagon in military service is this one used by the Japanese.

Bill
Attachments
reo speed wagon beute japanese forces 0330 0315.jpg

Pz III

Post by Pz III » 11 Jun 2015, 01:10

Hi Bill
I believe the large white V on the windshields stands for Versorgung. This can be loosely translated to supply, provisions or maintenance. Although the photo does not give us any context - I have seen photos of truck columns with the V on the windshields.

SIS 5

Post by SIS 5 » 11 Jun 2015, 17:47

Hi Bill,

thank You very much for posting this excellent pic of an REO speedwagon truck.

Hi Pz III,

in the most of the cases I know the white V on a truck stands for "Verpflegung", You can translate it with "food". It was used for vehicles with a field kitchen on board. Here two pics with such trucks, so called "Küchenwagen". On the first pic You can read the word "Feldküche" and see a part of the field kitchen in the rear part of the truck (source of the pic: an expired ebay auction). On the second pic You see a Einheitsdiesel converting with a box body superstructure for a field kitchen truck (source of the pic: "Einheits-Diesel" by Henry Hoppe, Tankograd - Wehrmacht Special № 4017).

Regards

Bert
Attachments
Küchenwagen.png
Küchenwagen.png (171.41 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Kuechenwagen2.gif
Kuechenwagen2.gif (250.76 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 11 Jun 2015, 17:58

Hi PZIII and Bert:

I sincerely thank both of you for continuing to educate me in fields I know nothing about. In this case, vehicle markings.

As silly as it may sound, I mistakenly thought that any marking that was a Capital Letter was to indicate the Commanding Officer of, for example, a Corps. "G" for Guderian, "K" for Kleist, "H" for Hoth etc. etc. After PZIII's post, I went back and looked at several hundred photos that had such markings on the vehicle and found they seem to have been painted on the vehicles themselves, not on the windscreens and always visible from the front.

So, it may well be that our Reo truck was a combination personnel transporter and supply vehicle for a food service unit.

I am still trying to find out how a Reo truck got that very military looking body and if I ever find out, I will post it here.

Bill

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 13 Jun 2015, 04:16

I can't quite pin this one down.
Attachments
$_57 (16).JPG
eBay photo
$_57 (16).JPG (145.62 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Cheers,
Max

shamirnewell

Post by shamirnewell » 13 Jun 2015, 06:55

The lorry on the left reminds me of a Faun truck not sure about specific model.

The one on left looks like an Opel Blitz eintonner.

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 13 Jun 2015, 07:16

Hi shamirnewell,
Thanks, but I don't know about that. I already went through all the 3-4 tonner Fauns I had pics of and there were some similarities but also discrepancies. At first I thought of MAN Z1 but again too many detail differences. I figure the cab must be non-standard in any case.
Cheers,
Max

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”