Vehicle identity requests

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 08 May 2005 16:33

Morning Larrister:

Try this site also for more Czech custom coachwork. Very nice and I love the Studebaker!!
http://auta5p.car.cz/katalog/sodomka/sodomka.htm
Well, the link didn't want to work but I think I have it right now.
I am still playing around here. Try also http://www.tatraportal.sk Go to the task bar on the left and open the models link. Feel free to just browse model after model. THere are a lot of military pics there that I have never seen before as well as a lot of different versions of Tatra that are fairly well known otherwise. Enjoy!! If I hit anything else today, I will add it here.
Cheers
Bill

Ransome

Post by Ransome » 08 May 2005 17:40

Hello Bill

congratulations, you got the truck!! There is no doubt it is a Skoda 6SD. Only 75 produced: of course it's not very easy to met it.
Thank you for your help, Bill.

Best regards.

Marco

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 08 May 2005 17:56

Glad I could help, Marco.

As you have read here before, I sometimes go too fast when I try to identify a vehicle, often posting from my business and relying on memory instead of waiting till I get home and have access to my reference collection. Something I must remember not to do!!

As to the Skoda, this is further evidence to me as to the rather desparate situation the Germans faced in trying to support the invasion of Russia without having built a proper logistics organization. You are aware, I am sure, that the German and Russian railway track systems were not compatible in the beginning and the Germans had to rely on motor trucks to supply a huge amount of troops, armour, aircraft and so on. They had to rely on captured, confiscated or impressed vehicles from all of Europe to try to carry this effot out. As only 75 of these Skoda truck were built, I would not have wanted to be the officer in charge of maintenance or any of his men when the damn thing finally broke down.

I do enjoy this hobby of indentifying vehicles when I can and hope you will post many more photos.

Best Regards
Bill

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 10 May 2005 22:29

Where were these truck used for , mobile comando post ????.

The pictures where dated, vehicles in holland.

Are they Ford trucks.

Regards

Sander
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 10 May 2005 22:30

3 new one's

All the pictures came from E-bay

Sander
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sander D on 12 May 2005 22:59, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 10 May 2005 22:42

Evening Sander:

Very nice and unusual photos
The First is a 1937 Ford.
The next three are Dodges, all same model, and I would guess 1939 year model although they could be 1940 but I doubt it. All seem to have been supplied as chassis with cowl as it is called in English and have coachbuilt cabs done in Holland.
Cheers
Bill

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 11 May 2005 15:49

Hi Bill

Thanks for your answer,do you want some more of it.

Sander

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 11 May 2005 16:00

Morning Sander:

Yes, yes, the more the better.
Cheers
Bill

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 11 May 2005 16:19

SanderD it looks like a vehicle of "Reichsautozug Deutschland" which was a organisation with many special vehicles which set up large Propaganda fairs all over the Reich.

Here another example with the similar insigina

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 11 May 2005 16:49

Hi Christopf,

Nice picture,like you said they have the same insigne.

So they where only used for propagande goals, i did a search in my Ebay files and came across this picture ,the second one below.

Is it also one of the Reichsautozug Deutschland,the text writen on the truck begins with- HILF MIT AM AIR/or AUT........ or is this a recruitation truck.

Bill ,see also the new pictures in the above post.

Regards

Sander
Last edited by Sander D on 13 May 2005 16:04, edited 2 times in total.

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 11 May 2005 22:33

Evening Sander:

Thanks for the new photos:

Your pic 3 and pic 4 almost look like railroad waggons put on road wheels. Very interesting.
The Autozug photo is, of course a trailer.
The Russian photo is a Buessing, most likely a converted bus.
Pic 5 is a 1935-36 Ford.
Cheers
Bill

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 12 May 2005 23:16

Hi Bill,

Some more interesting pictures.

For not making this topic to long with only Reichsautozug Deutschland trucks,ive uploaded some new one's on older posts.

I've posted 3 new picture in one of the above posts,on one of the foto's you can see glasses and bottles in the background looks like this trailer is build as a sort of driving bar?????

Also have a look on pic 10 posted on 11 may, a trailer with one open side.

Regards

Sander

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 13 May 2005 00:05

Evening Sander:

Thanks for keeping up with this thread and I do not think you have to worry that it is boring anyone, there are a lot of "lookers".

First, did you mean pic 10 or pic 8?? The only trailer pic I see is another Dodge with a trailer with the open door.

Pic 7 would appear to me to be a dining car for mid ranking officers. On reflection, probably not a converted railway car but a copy of such a car. Since the seating is somewhat crowded, even with nice touches like ashtrays, flower arrangements and that photo of Adolph Hitler on the right wall, I would assume that such arrangements were offered to officers perhaps in the range of Lt. Col. as we know it in the US (I am not good on German rankings).

Interesting to me is that in most of the "Continental Armies" a formal Officers Mess with full bar service was the norm whereas in the US force doctrine, the consumption of alcohol was very restricted, at least officially. Even, or, especially for the Officers. Of course this did not work in practice but it was not openly allowed as with the Germans and many other European armies.

Nice photos, please keep them coming.
Cheers
Bill

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 13 May 2005 16:13

Hi bill

Thanks for the information.

Concearning picture 10,something went wrong when i uploaded it last evening, but now you can see it.

Cheers

Sander

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 13 May 2005 23:09

Hallo Sander:
OK it worked. I would have to guess but #10 may be a photo of the opposite side of #8 and does seem to be a mobile office of some sort.
May I say again that these are very unusual and rare photos and I think all here would enjoy more if you have them. They are probably not valuable as collector items because of the subject but for those of us who try to catalogue any and every vehicle we can used by any countries armed forces they are gems.
I also wonder about those Dodges. Is it the same one attached to different trailers or did the Germans manage to confiscate a small fleet of what seem to be nearly identical tractors?

Hope to see some more on the subject.
Cheers
Bill

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”