Identify vehicles (Part II)

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 11 Jan 2004, 02:30

Marcus: Here we go again.

In this series I believe the unidentified ones are as follows.

#9 is a Ford V8 but be careful.............
Note that it seems to be a shooting brake (station wagon/herrgardsvagn) and has a rear view mirror on the right hand side. Therefore could well be ex British.

# 5 caused me a real headache again as my library is in such a bad shape. But... finally found some good reference material which leads me to identify the vehicle as a Mercedes Benz typ 170H cabrio-limousine of the 1936-1939 period. Once again, recognition features are the unique design of the bonnet, three small louvres on the bonnet sides, type of wheel and cap and the windscreen. Unique in that the motor was mounted to the rear of the vehicle.

#1. Surely an Opel but what with the quality of the photo etc. who really cares which specific one. Maybe a P4?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 25 Jan 2004, 13:22

Bill,

Sorry for overlooking your response and thanks for the help.

/Marcus

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 25 Jan 2004, 21:53

Marcus:

You are certainly welcome. I claim no expertise but am very enthusiastic and this a lot of fun for me. Please keep them coming.

For you others with ID questions, I moved for two hours this morning a lot of my books, magazines and photo/info files from storage in my cellar up to book cases in my home office where this PC is located. Hopefully will make finding source materiel easier.
Bill

Bill Murray

Post by Bill Murray » 26 Jan 2004, 23:55

Hallo Marcus:

One more down.
The roadster type car I can say with a great degree of certainty is a Czech Aero 30 although I cannot say what year. This the caption D7-2.

What threw me off were the wheels. I still cannot find a pic with exactly those wheels, but things did get changed under wartime conditions.

In this case the clues were the arrangement of the louvres in the bonnet sides, the specific shape of the front wings, shape of the door, mounting of the windscreen, door handles and the arrangement of the convertible top.

One other thing baffled me in that all the photos I dug up in about a two hour search had the same boot, flat with one spare tyre and gas filler cap mounted vertically. There are two reasons I have decided this was not a disqualifying factor. Firstly, many if not most of the drophead Aeros were built by the coachmaker Sodomka and different specifications were offered to prospective buyers. In this case, you may notice the boot looks very rough, not as nice as the rest of the car. It could have very well been a field modification (umbau). The amazing ability of German Field Workshops to convert almost anything into a quasi military vehicle will never cease to amaze me. Does make a proper ID hard sometimes.

Well, I have 5 more I am working on but they are pretty strange ones so it may take some time. But goodness is it fun.
Bill

modelltreff

Post by modelltreff » 12 Jul 2004, 02:53

#2 is a Mercedes 170V Cabriolimousine

kerryboo

Re: Identify vehicles (Part II)

Post by kerryboo » 10 Aug 2018, 10:48

Hello all,
I was researching something and came across this old thread. I noticed the mis-identification of number 5. To clarify, it is in fact a Mercedes 170H, not a VW product.
Cheers,
Kerry.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”