Tank trip: Borden

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
admfisher

Tank trip: Borden

Post by admfisher » 11 Sep 2002, 18:44

I am planning a trip to take to CFB Borden to see the tanks again.
But this time it is to measure, and study.

What on the Panther and Wirbelwind would you all say needs to be looked at closely?

My plans are to take my PzIV and V Spielberger books with and start going over the vehicles in by in. I want the exact measurements of all major plates, barrel lengths, recoil sleeve on the panther, basically the works.

So my question is there anything that I should be looking for on these vehicles that is not in our books?

The panther is kind of interesting in having waffle pattern zimmert on the hull side by the road wheel, the armored glass for the driver is all shot up, looks as if who ever was engaging this tank had tried to blind the driver, I have to check the other optics for damage.

On the Wirbelwind, it is a pity they have put a metal screen over the turret that allows anything and everything into it but you still get a nice view of the gun mount. I didnt see any damagae to show it reason for its loss, but that may of been a lack of fuel. I will check very close for patches in the bodies to see if they were knocked out just left after lack of fuel or break down.

Grant

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”