Staff Cars

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
bmcgill930

Staff Cars

Post by bmcgill930 » 21 Sep 2002, 14:25

Has there been any discovery of any of the staff cars (mercedes open cars) that were used by the top nazi or military leaders? What would be the value of one in todays dollars. If this subject has been covered, please point me to the right thread.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 21 Sep 2002, 14:42

The Canadian War Museum has one of Hitlers staff cars.

Image Image
http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/cwme.asp

/Marcus

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 21 Sep 2002, 14:52

how the hell'd it get to canada?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 21 Sep 2002, 14:57

Canadian War Museum wrote:The Mercedes-Benz that you see here was actually used by Adolf Hitler and was captured by Americans towards the end of the war.
The damage you see was not caused by combat, but rather by American soldiers who tested the car with Tommy guns to see if it was really bullet proof. The car then passed through the hands of many vehicle collectors before it was acquired by the Canadian War Museum. With a few repairs, this car today could probably reach 100 km/hour. As far as we know, it is one of the few surviving vehicles of its kind.
/Marcus

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 21 Sep 2002, 15:33

Wouldn't you like to know!! :lol:

There is a man here named Farley Mowat. During WW2 he was an Infantry Officer with the Canadian Army in Italy and a Tech Int Offr in NW Europe. At wars end in Holland he began to employ himself as a collection Officer and and using men awaiting repat to Canada, he roamed around gathering samples of all major (and minor) german equipment. All this stuff he collected in one big area at Ouderkerk near Amsterdam. The deal was get two and the NBS got one and "1st Cdn War Museum Collection Team" got the other( later changed to 1 Cdn Field Historical Section). Using booze he even managed a V2 from some brits. As only USA, USSR, and UK were to have these there was an uproar. He simply left it on it's transporter, painted it, and erected a phony conning tower. when the other Allies came looking he said it was a one man sub and they left!! :lol: THey then moved to Oostmalle, Belgium and kept at it.

Long story short he hoodwinked the Cdn Government into paying for shipping this collection back to Canada. Tanks, Guns, A one man sub,the V2 and about 800 tons of additional gear! Some is in the war museums but most has been lost or discarded over the years. There is a story that after a wharehouse fire in Borden the heavy Armour that was damaged was buried at a military base. I have seen the roof of a Panther A turret years ago at said base but I understand it was "cleaned up" in the early '90s. Shame.

FM went on to be a non fiction writer of some fame and is a somewhat reluctant icon in Canada. I recommend his books that deal with mil subjects: And No Birds Sang, The Regiment , and My fathers Son. That last one has the complete story of the 1st Cdn Fd Hist Sec.

Do you know what tho', I haven't a clue where the car came from!!

Regards
A :D

bmcgill930

Staff Cars

Post by bmcgill930 » 21 Sep 2002, 21:27

Marcus,

Thanks for the info...I knew if anyone knew you would.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”