The Aerial Reconnaissance Archives

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by John Calvin and Jeff Leach.
Matzos

Poss move of TARA

Post by Matzos » 01 Apr 2007 12:39

During my talks with friends about TARA I was told that Keele are looking at moving the whole image archive to a new location, which could be Scotland. I was told that this could be due to the fact Keele need the 'floor space' for other 'things'.
Like I said this is not set in stone but could happen in the future.
I was also told that TARA was making about £100,000 per year by selling image to mainly overseas customers and so they were self funding at this time.

I will keep my ear to the ground and post any other info that comes my way.

Matzos

Post by Matzos » 05 Nov 2007 13:21

A update to my last post.

The TARA are making plans to move the acrhive and this could be by Christmas. Location, they are still looking at Scotland.

Karte

Post by Karte » 07 Nov 2007 01:24

I know for a fact... from a 'senior member' of TARA, that they do not MAKE money as they are not allowed to do so. They cover their costs only and put "extra" money towards improved hardware, software, and additional personnel to improve the capability and service of the organization. It isnt a buisness, and in fact once the move occurs, some of the personnel will be government employees I understand.

aparture85

TARA

Post by aparture85 » 04 Dec 2007 15:01

I have dealt with TARA many times and always have been satisfied with the results and images that i have recieved. making slanderous remarks about a website is rediculous and it makes me think that im not suprised your having a bad time dealing with TARA if you come online to bad mouth them and try to instigate a witch hunt. REMEMBER that the internet is for everyone and TARA probably check it! If you want to know exactly what they do with your email addresses then ring them but would it not be common sense to see that if the website has not been updated for some time that no-one is looking after it and therefore your email addresses are coming to no harm.... or prehaps they are selling them to spam companys...... i seriously doubt it!

and as for TARA making money, they sell licence for the images you have ordered and RESEARCH time... the time taken to get the images you wanted because you didnt come and do your own research.

i cant honestly see how TARA making money and spending on improving its assets is a bad thing when they recieve NO public funding.

any negitive response will be kindly ignored

Karte

Post by Karte » 04 Dec 2007 23:16

99% of the folks on this forum dont have a clue how TARA is run, or how the inner works of the complex organization occur. They do more than just provide research and images to the typical user. They do much more important work, preservation of the millions of images, prints, microfilm, and the like. In addition the actively pursue "new" material fomr JARIC and other national sources. They also may be looking towards the US for collaboration with collections there.

I am not sure who the last post was directed to but from my point of view TARA is the leader in the world in providing historical imagery. The website issue I have discovered is not due to TARAs fault, but it isnt being supported by another UK "national" level organization.

Matzos

Post by Matzos » 04 Feb 2008 13:48

Karte wrote:99% of the folks on this forum dont have a clue how TARA is run, or how the inner works of the complex organization occur. They do more than just provide research and images to the typical user. They do much more important work, preservation of the millions of images, prints, microfilm, and the like. In addition the actively pursue "new" material fomr JARIC and other national sources. They also may be looking towards the US for collaboration with collections there.

I am not sure who the last post was directed to but from my point of view TARA is the leader in the world in providing historical imagery. The website issue I have discovered is not due to TARAs fault, but it isnt being supported by another UK "national" level organization.

I agree with the last post. It's not TARA's fault they are having problems, I think it's partly down to the lack of funding that stops them carrying out thier plans.
Well it looks the archive will be finding a new home over the coming months, with the archive moving to a temp location until a new building has been completed.

Their website has all the information - http://www.evidenceincamera.co.uk

Valtoro

Re: The Aerial Reconnaissance Archives

Post by Valtoro » 06 Oct 2008 16:57

Now, even the TARA webpage is down. Can anyone give me an update if it's still possible to order airphotos from them?
I was looking for reconnaissance pictures for southern Norway.

Matzos

Post by Matzos » 06 Oct 2008 19:23

To gain any information about the Ex-TARA archive, you may have to speak to The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). I found the following on their latest news page:-

"One of the world’s most important aerial photography collections has moved to RCAHMS. The Aerial Reconnaissance Archives (TARA) is made up of over 10 million photographs, from images of Second World War Allied and German aerial reconnaissance, to RAF aerial photography around the world up to the 1990s.

The move is part of a joint initiative between RCAHMS, The National Archives and Keele University to secure TARA’s future long-term preservation and continued development. The imagery held by TARA is also being enhanced by the transfer of post-war aerial photography from the Ministry of Defence.

Over 100,000 canisters of film and boxes of prints have been transported by articulated lorry from Keele University, the home of the archive for the last 45 years, to storage facilities near Glasgow and the RCAHMS premises in Edinburgh. The sheer size of the archive has seen the relocation process take several months.

RCAHMS has a track record of effective archive management of large collections of aerial imagery, and is a world leader in the delivery of heritage information and digital imagery on-line. RCAHMS already holds collections of RAF and Ordnance Survey aerial imagery of Scotland and undertakes regular aerial survey works as part of its Survey and Recording programme.

After a period of assimilation, TARA will be preserved, further digitised and made accessible to the general public.
The TARA website will be completed shortly. Users will be able to communicate directly with TARA staff, purchase specific imagery from an expanding online gallery, and make enquiries and commission research."

http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/index.html

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 06 Oct 2008 23:53

Thanks for the update! Do you know how long ago they did this move? I couldn't find any dates in the news section..

Matzos

Post by Matzos » 08 Oct 2008 10:06

Valtoro wrote:Thanks for the update! Do you know how long ago they did this move? I couldn't find any dates in the news section..
I was informed that it was due to start Dec 07.

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 08 Oct 2008 13:38

Thanks, then they perhaps are finished with the most hectic movement period...

EDIT:

got this reply today from RCAHMS. It was an automated response, even so it contained some info.
If your enquiry relates to The Aerial Reconnaissance Archives (TARA), this collection is currently being transported to RCAHMS. The TARA website will be available later this year which will enable you to commission specific research and purchase selected images from this collection. More information can be found on our News page: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/news.html.

Valtoro

Post by Valtoro » 12 Nov 2008 17:30

The last reply that I got from TARA, and the price guide (see link)
http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ideft4.jpg

/valtoro.
Thank you for your enquiry to The Aerial Reconnaissance Archives
(TARA). We have moved from The University of Keele to RCAHMS and are
working hard to setup our research service. We are also working to setup
a public viewing area within RCAHMS to allow visitors to come and do
their own research from our microfilm - the original records are being
remotely stored for the next few years. This service should be available
within the year.

If there is an area that you are interested in we can do remote
research.

We probably do have photography of your area(s) of interest. For doing
this research for you we need a map where your area of interest (AOI) is
exactly indicated. Best would be a polygon around your AOI. The research
lasts about an hour for one location and it would cost between £30 and
£60 (only if location does not exceed 100 hectares). If the research
time exceeds one hour, TARA staff will contact you. A research fee would
only be charged if coverage of the AOI is found.

Along with a map of the area you are interested in we will also need
your address for sending you the final product.

After the research you will receive low -resolution images from a
microfilm and a list with flights that cover your AOI. This list will
include Sortie References, Dates and rough scales. With the delivered
microfilm scans, you can then decide which you would like to order as
high-resolution images.

We deliver high resolution (1200 dpi) scans at a cost of £50 each (This
price is reflective of the handling, preservation and digitisation time
that goes into each print). For all UK citizens 17.5 % VAT has to be
added to all prices.

Now that our archive is being stored remotely we have to pay a large
pull / delivery fee. This is reflected by a charge of £3.50 per item
pulled from the store for digitisation.

If you are going to use the photograph for professional use, we can
supply a special license for this (non private license). For this we
need to know the purpose of use.

Ropey

Post by Ropey » 07 Jan 2009 00:03

I found the TARA costs horrendous, but for those in Edinburgh or able to visit there will be some relief when the public access area is opened. (Forever being pushed back unfortunately.)

For those of you visiting Rome, however, there is a much cheaper, though not as extensive, option. One of their ministries has an aerial archive covering Italy at least (I looked no further than that). They have a public viewing area open in the morning only. Pics are filed by GSGS military map numbers - eg, Cassino being on map 160 is in the 160 folder. They simply bring out all the photos from that folder and you can inspect until time runs out. Bliss. They only have verticals but they held reasonable coverage of the 160 area - the Liri, Gari and Rapido Valleys. The good news is that visits are free, and copies (no scans) are only E15 each! Sadly I don't believe they have a 'remote' service, so you have to 'suffer' a visit to Rome to take advantage of it.

dagann

Post by dagann » 08 Jan 2009 18:47

Do you know if TARA is still thinking about making available over internet these millions of photos... for free ?

It would be great.

Ropey

Post by Ropey » 24 Feb 2009 23:40

Another update...

The archives still aren't open for public access and won't be before I move away from Edinburgh in March which is very disappointing. They have a number of issues - time and space being the worst of it, but also some issue with licencing the mapping software they hope to use for a finding aid. I asked them if they had considered a partnership with Google Earth, but it would seem Google's response was basically give us what you have and we'll give you nothing. Shame, as it would have been fantastic to have seen the pics as layers on GE.

They are able to do searcing for you, if you can afford it.

Return to “Archives”