Captured German military records online: "germandocsinrussia.org"

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Art
Forum Staff

Captured German military records online: "germandocsinrussia.org"

Post by Art » 20 May 2015, 10:54

A site with digitized WWII German military documents captured by the Soviet Army:
http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/de/nodes/1-fond-500
Free access, Russian and German interface. The work on digitizing and uploading docs still in progress. Thus far folders with documents originating from OKW, OKH and Heeresgruppe Mitte are uploaded.

Michate

Re: Captured German military records online

Post by Michate » 20 May 2015, 11:12

This contains some most interesting material.

Kudos to the Russians for making all this available online for free.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 20 May 2015, 20:36

Michate wrote:This contains some most interesting material.

Kudos to the Russians for making all this available online for free.
This is a result of German-Russian cooperation. Previously the 500th Fund of TsAMO had even no clear catalogue and it was more than hard to work inside.

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 21 May 2015, 07:56

I know from one of the main archivists in Freiburg (BA-MA) how hard it was to get access despite federal agreements.

Mr.No one

Post by Mr.No one » 21 May 2015, 08:46

This is effing awesome material!!
This is gonna take me weeks to plow through, wonderful!

How fantastic that it has finally been possible to get the material out, especially when it is given for free!!!

Kudos to Germany and especially Russia for doing this!!

— Sean
Believe in truth!

Michate

Post by Michate » 22 May 2015, 11:53

This is a result of German-Russian cooperation. Previously the 500th Fund of TsAMO had even no clear catalogue and it was more than hard to work inside.
Thanks for the correction. Anyway, then this is how international cooperation should look like.

Let's hope even more material will be made available in the future, like e.g. those parts of field army records not available at BAMA or NARA.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 22 May 2015, 21:57

Michate wrote: Thanks for the correction. Anyway, then this is how international cooperation should look like.

Let's hope even more material will be made available in the future, like e.g. those parts of field army records not available at BAMA or NARA.
They have plans to upload more materials up to 2018 year. So, I guess there will be plenty absolutely new records

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 22 May 2015, 23:13

Fantastic stuff!
Is there any way to download entire books or do we have to download each page separately? The ones I'm interested in so far are only 10-20 pages long, but that's still a lot of clicks and a lot of files...

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 24 May 2015, 07:14

The download process can likely be automated using a macro script recorder - this is what I used to copy files from fold3. hover, it would be nice if I didn't have to write the script up.

Mad Dog

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 24 May 2015, 08:59

The project is supposed to finish in 2018, so there should be lots more to come.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Mori

Post by Mori » 24 May 2015, 09:36

About saving it all quickly, there was a discussion on the FMS thread. You can try DownthemAll or SaveImages (both being firefox extensions).

I tried Downthemall on the site: it works. But, they labelled their files with such weird names that you get a pile of documents in semi-random order. Everything is in your hard drive, but utterly mixed up...

I haven't tried Saveimages yet, as I could only make it work with the Mac version of Firefox.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 24 May 2015, 11:17

One can try package download using some download agent. In FlashGet, which I prefer it's easy to make such trick. I set a link mask and a counter and then easily download necessary pages.
I hope this must work here too

BramvanS

Post by BramvanS » 24 May 2015, 16:38

I have tried everything, but the most efficient way remains a manual download including an immediate numbering of the downloaded files. I downloaded all OKH Insp der Pz Tr stuff and all KStN. It took a lot of time.

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 24 May 2015, 18:57

Yeah, each file needs to be renamed even when saving manually as the generated file names appear completely random, but as mentioned they are at least in order (if page 1 is .../pages/94347/..., page 2 is .../pages/94348/...).

Another tip: The zoom level for the files downloaded can be set between 1 and 7 (8 and above seems to be locked unless logged in). The "medium" size preset is 4, the "large" preset is 7. The zoom level when downloading the file is seen in the end of the URL, for instance wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/pages/94349/zooms/7 for the high resolution.
To save space on my hard drive, I download the smallest resolution that is easily readable. Usually the medium (4) preset is good enough, but due to JPG artefacts, changing the number to 5 works better for some texts where the font size is smaller. This requires manually changing the URL, but it's worth it. For machine printed texts, this gives me image files that works satisfactory with OCR scanners, meaning I can do text searches in processed files later.
I still haven't found a way to set different presets, and I assume it's locked.

Thanks for the suggestions on download managers, perhaps they will help automate the procedure even further. I will have to try them to see. The problem I've had with similar services previously is they always download too much (putting unnecessary strain on the host's servers and connection and filling my harddrive with things I don't need or want) and I still have to go through sorting and renaming everything manually.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 24 May 2015, 20:20

StefanSiverud wrote:..

Thanks for the suggestions on download managers, perhaps they will help automate the procedure even further. I will have to try them to see. The problem I've had with similar services previously is they always download too much (putting unnecessary strain on the host's servers and connection and filling my harddrive with things I don't need or want) and I still have to go through sorting and renaming everything manually.
I use to write my own software sometimes to make automatic downloading.
Seems Pamyat-naroda.ru site also will need me finally to do the same, because it can help making autmoatic naming of folders and files

Return to “Archives”