Captured German military records online: "germandocsinrussia.org"

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Re: Captured German military records online

Post by Jeff Leach » 31 May 2015, 09:03

This post was a little misplaced
oleg62 wrote:Hi! Here are located the German captured documents -[url]http: //rutracker.org/forum/tracker.php[/url]? Nm = TsAMO
The files are about 20 GB total but there are a number of seeders so download speed is fast.

If you do the search you notice some other TsAMO listing. The material is from http://www.podvignaroda.mil.ru/?#tab=navHome. Important to note is that collections on rutracker for podvignaroda are incomplete. You can find a complete (?) listing of the podvignaroda material here http://www.teatrskazka.com/Raznoe/Fondy ... _main.html.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 31 May 2015, 10:38

Jeff Leach wrote:This post was a little misplaced
oleg62 wrote:Hi! Here are located the German captured documents -[url]http: //rutracker.org/forum/tracker.php[/url]? Nm = TsAMO
The files are about 20 GB total but there are a number of seeders so download speed is fast.

If you do the search you notice some other TsAMO listing. The material is from http://www.podvignaroda.mil.ru/?#tab=navHome. Important to note is that collections on rutracker for podvignaroda are incomplete. You can find a complete (?) listing of the podvignaroda material here http://www.teatrskazka.com/Raznoe/Fondy ... _main.html.
Hi, Jeff

rutracker seeder apple16 downloaded majority of podvignaroda.mil.ru site. I alss downloaded at least 99.9% of their operative records (I didn't download award documents) and can say that Vasiliy's (teatrskazka) data are 99.5% correct and complete

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 31 May 2015, 10:55

I can't read russian, and google translate doesn't work. Or maybe I am doing it wrongly.
Does it have captured german documents? And if so, where can I find them?

Mori

Post by Mori » 31 May 2015, 11:04

Same question :)

Picking random docs, I notice some are censored, but I can't tell what's their topic.

Example here

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 31 May 2015, 11:41

Mori wrote:Same question :)

Picking random docs, I notice some are censored, but I can't tell what's their topic.

Example here
According to Russian laws about protection of personal information data about home address is secret. So, it was cut off.

I also noticed some documents available earlier now can't be opened

Piet Duits

TSAMO files

Post by Piet Duits » 01 Jun 2015, 10:41

Hi all,

I am in contact with the guys behind http://www.germandocsinrussia.org/ and was told today that they first start with putting the missing material from the Heeresgruppe Mitte online, followed by the other Heeresgruppen.
Again followed by the Armeeoberkommandos, Generalkommandos and eventually the Divisionen as well.

In other words, there's still a lot for us in the pipeline :-)

-----------Merged by moderator (GT)------------

Tom Peters

Re: Captured German military records online: "germandocsinrussia.org"

Post by Tom Peters » 11 Jul 2015, 05:08

has anyone got automated page harvesting and renumbering to work ? I have been trying to use QuicKeys to harvest and rename the files in order, but its giving me fits. This sort of script worked great for harvesting pages from fold3, but this time its a lot more difficult (thanks web owners to removing the "download" button <----- sarcasm).

Mad Dog

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 11 Jul 2015, 11:12

I use FDM (with their batch download mode), but only to downoad one specifc Akte at a time. All it takes is getting the url of the first and last page (jpg). The numbers of those two pages are the range, like 34355-39854 . Replace the number in the url with (*). And don't forget to switch off automatic naming. Instead change that to (*).jpg

To obtain the URLs:
- zoom in as far as you can (zoom level 8 is now working, which makes all the difference)
- click on''print'
- close the screen from your printer, and copy the url of the page.

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 12 Jul 2015, 19:15

I had to hit the QuicKeys forums but I figured it out. What a pain in the ass. The script is a nasty hack job (i.e. not elegant at all), but it works.

thanks,

Tom

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 12 Jul 2015, 20:45

Tom Peters wrote:I had to hit the QuicKeys forums but I figured it out. What a pain in the ass. The script is a nasty hack job (i.e. not elegant at all), but it works.

thanks,

Tom
Imyself need to write a special code to download from pamyat-naroda.ru site, which is powered the same organization with the same policy. They wants to provide data and simoultaneously - not to provide data restricting saving of materials

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 13 Jul 2015, 01:53

I can only assume they made it difficult to download to avoid having too many people download large sets of files at the same time. However, I put pauses in my script to slow it down (I let it run for hours on my main computer when Im not using it) to avoid being a bad user.

thanks,

Tom

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 13 Jul 2015, 09:48

Tom Peters wrote:I can only assume they made it difficult to download to avoid having too many people download large sets of files at the same time. However, I put pauses in my script to slow it down (I let it run for hours on my main computer when Im not using it) to avoid being a bad user.

thanks,

Tom
Yep, they are afraid of massive downloading. They don't want to notice, that massive downloading is a result of their bad search facilities

Mori

Post by Mori » 13 Jul 2015, 12:54

It is beyond my understanding why massive downloading would be an issue, but one thing is certain: the torrents from rutracker.org are by far the quickest and easiest way to access the material. It takes a little effort to navigate the 100% Russian website to find the relevant link, but then it's just a night of download and everything is there.

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 13 Jul 2015, 13:34

jpz4 wrote: The numbers of those two pages are the range, like 34355-39854 .
Which gives you all pages in that range. I noticed the files have partly either a range from f.e. 1-11 or 2-12 so either even- or odd-numbering. Following your advice I now have to find from which file the pages with odd-numbering are :roll: But the speed is there and it save's a lot of time downloading :thumbsup:

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 13 Jul 2015, 16:43

Glad to help Ypenburg

Return to “Archives”