Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501(424)
The battalion was established on 10 May 1942 in Erfurt, combining the two separate heavy
tank companies-501 and 502 (formed on the 16 February 1942)-plus personnel from
the local Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 1 (1st Armored replacement Battalion) and from the
armor gunnery school at Putlos. Commanding officer: Major Lueder.
21 December 1944: The battalion is redesignated as schwere Panzer-Abteilung 424
and attached to the XXIV. Panzer-Korps.
There was another battalion on the eastern front that had 55 Tiger 1s, 507 during the same time period. Each battalion had 52 tanks in combat-ready condition. This is the peak of their career. Both were on the Russian front.
The 501st suffered heavy losses in August 1944. Losing about 20 Tiger 2s. At Lisow it lost considerably less, but as a result of the battle it lost contact with its supply units. It then fell apart and within the next 5-7 days disappeared altogether. There were no more Tigers for 501-424. They received 2 Panthers, 2 Noshorns and an incomplete company of Hatzers. 6 or 8 in a company.