Advice please

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
rspell

Advice please

Post by rspell » 20 Feb 2017, 18:57

My uncle was killed in an aerial attack in the vicinity of Berlin while serving with the Leibstandarte. It was near to the end of the war and the dead on that day were buried in a mass grave. This is according to a priest who was contacted by another uncle while trying to retrieve the body. I don't know if this is the proper forum for my inquiry, but I have feelers out all over. Could anyone advise me on how I might be able to find his burial place? Thanks for any help you can provide.

jpz4

Re: Advice please

Post by jpz4 » 20 Feb 2017, 21:14

It helps if you tell us what methods you've tried already.
IMHO the first stop should be the Volksbund website: http://www.volksbund.de/en/graebersuche.html
If they don't have any information you'll have to start digging deeper. There are plenty of people here who can explain what you can do.

Good luck.

rspell

Post by rspell » 21 Feb 2017, 21:22

I have been exploring a website http://www.vbgo.de/ , which seems to hold promise, but hasn't yet paid off. I have tried to contact members of that organization for guidance, but it seems that the language barrier is too great for me to overcome. Thank you for the volksbund website. I will make good use of it. Best regards...

rspell

Post by rspell » 22 Feb 2017, 21:35

jpz4, I found a very close hit on the website that you provided. The man is buried in a marked grave in Austria, though. Family oral history indicates that he was buried in a mass grave near Berlin. The fog of that time period may have distorted the truth. In any case, I have something to work with. Thank you...

AriX

Post by AriX » 15 Mar 2017, 14:35

Didnt want to start a new topic, so will ask here - does Volksbund privide photo card and biographical data of the fallen/missing soldiers ? As i remember, it could be done for money ( 10 euros).

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 05 Apr 2017, 08:38

rspell wrote:I have been exploring a website http://www.vbgo.de/ , which seems to hold promise, but hasn't yet paid off. I have tried to contact members of that organization for guidance, but it seems that the language barrier is too great for me to overcome.[...]
I doubt that this organisation (Association for the Recovery of the Fallen in Eastern Europe) is the proper contact for you in this case. Berlin, nor Austria are East European countries.
It would help to tell us exactly as possible what you know about this case. Date/time range of the assumed bombing, his unit, name of your uncle, etc..
The fog of that time period may have distorted the truth
It´s not allways the case that the truth was hidden on purpose. Often is was limited knowledge about the facts. Eg from my family: My great-grandfather (member of a Landesschützenbattailon guarding barracks on the Czech/Polish border) got killed by partisans during the retreat at the end of WWII. Thruth after my research: The unit was destroyed south of Dresden totally by Soviet forces, ~ 400 km away from the assumed death place.

Regards

Return to “Archives”