In search of; files relating to people seeking compensation for relatives killed by the third reich

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Lasse

In search of; files relating to people seeking compensation for relatives killed by the third reich

Post by Lasse » 23 Mar 2017, 23:50

Hello,

Well; I'm in need of some assistance as I have turned up blank from my regular sources.so, any help would be much appreciated;

Story goes; during the years post war, relatives of Germans who's family members were executed by the third reach could seek compensation from the state. They had to apply for this, in which case an investigation was started.

In this specific case, the family of a German officer sought compensation as he was executed close to the end of the war. However, as it turned out during the investigation that he had deserted, was caught and therefore shot as "fahnfluchtig" the family was denied compensation.

If I would like to seek out that specific investigation file, where would I turn to? I have the name of a man who participated in the man hunt for the deserted officer, and who participated in his capture which ultimately led to his execution. This man was also subject to interrogations during the post-war investigation; his testimony resulted in the family being denied monetary compensation as the events leading up to his desertion became clear.

Anyone able to point me somewhat in the right direction?

steve248

Re: In search of; files relating to people seeking compensation for relatives killed by the third reich

Post by steve248 » 03 Apr 2017, 09:53

I think the best place to start will be the VVN in Germany. An association of Victims of Nazi Persecution.
Some of their archives are now held in Bundesarchiv Berlin-Lichterfelde.
see this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_ ... azi_Regime
It has links to the main site towards the bottom of the page.

Return to “Archives”