Lage Ost 1944

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
frosen

Lage Ost 1944

Post by frosen » 11 Sep 2017, 00:19

Hello all!

I'm new to the forum but have spent years digging in various german military files (like the majority of you I guess).

I have noticed that Lage Ost 1944 maps is not available online (afaik) and that many people, like me, want them. I'm a huge fan of what John Calvin and other people like him do and I understand it's costly in time and money to take photos of them and then upload.

Do you guys know anyone willing to go to NARA and take photos of Lage Ost to make them complete? I'm thinking that preferably a reputable forum member that already contributed and knows how to do it (like John Calvin) starts a crowdfunding/donation program to make it happen.

I would love to donate for that purpose and I'm sure many people would as well.

Mori

Re: Lage Ost 1944

Post by Mori » 11 Sep 2017, 13:09

There are researchers who can go get you material from NARA. However, the one I have been in contact with was mostly helpless (in spite of his reputation), and was also very pricy. The difficulty is you want someone who understands what you want when it's not as specific as "this precise file in this precise box". And when you know the file & box, you don't want to pay more than the cost of an intern - it's just making copies.
Last edited by Mori on 11 Sep 2017, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 11 Sep 2017, 14:03

Johan Calvin did a fund raiser a few years ago and it resulted in the 1943 maps (if not more). I asked John early this year about another fund-raiser to get the 1944 map but he said he wasn't able to make the trip to NARA. I suggest you contact John and see if he knows anyone capable of doing the job. Getting the money to do it shouldn't be much of a problem.

frosen

Post by frosen » 13 Sep 2017, 22:29

Thanks for the answers! Anybody else who have ideas or potential names for this venture?

Return to “Archives”