Documents on 61. Infanterie-division in 1944 September/October

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
BaltischeLandswehr

Documents on 61. Infanterie-division in 1944 September/October

Post by BaltischeLandswehr » 08 Nov 2017, 12:09

Hello,

I am trying to find any documents regarding 61. Infanterie-division during 1944 September/October.

In the "NARA_T733_Divisions.pdf" which lists NARA documents on German divisions, there are apparently no records about the division after January 1944. Is that true and there are really no records about the division, or is there any other possible places I might look for such material?
Doing research on 61.ID. Division

Mr.No one

Re: Documents on 61. Infanterie-division in 1944 September/October

Post by Mr.No one » 09 Nov 2017, 20:43

I could not find any divisional records using the digital search engine of Invenio, which covers the holdings of the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv in Freiburg. But you should be able to find information on the division by looking through records of subordinate and superior command levels.

- Sean
Believe in truth!

Mori

Post by Mori » 10 Nov 2017, 17:45

It looks like this unit was fighting on the Eastern Front: check TsAMO, the Russian archives. That's certainly where you can find the records which were captured before being sent at the archives in Potsdam.

BaltischeLandswehr

Post by BaltischeLandswehr » 11 Nov 2017, 15:40

Mr.No one wrote:I could not find any divisional records using the digital search engine of Invenio, which covers the holdings of the Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv in Freiburg. But you should be able to find information on the division by looking through records of subordinate and superior command levels.

- Sean
Thanks! I have been going through the material of this division korps (XXXVIII). It does have a lot of information, but it is all in the context of the korps and the 18th army.
Mori wrote:It looks like this unit was fighting on the Eastern Front: check TsAMO, the Russian archives. That's certainly where you can find the records which were captured before being sent at the archives in Potsdam.
I will try to do this, thanks!
Doing research on 61.ID. Division

Return to “Archives”