Russian Military Archiv (RGWA) Moscow

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
luckystrike78

Russian Military Archiv (RGWA) Moscow

Post by luckystrike78 » 26 Mar 2019, 19:45

I am not sure if this thread is here in the appropriate section but I think it is worth an attempt:

I would need assitance in researching within RGWA. Has anyone researched within this institution yet? I would need a short summary of a personal file (Military carear) of a German officer (Colonel), who died in a POW-camp in 1946. The file (a questionair) exist but what ever I try, I am not able to get access. The staff rejected my matter (only for relatives!). This is complete nonsense (sorry) - this officer is dead for more than 70 years. If he had a file in Freiburg (or at NARA in the US), everybody could research him without restrictions. This questionair is most likely the last existing file about this man. There is no other possibility to find out what happend with him after 1940.

Art
Forum Staff

Re: Russian Military Archiv (RGWA) Moscow

Post by Art » 27 Mar 2019, 20:39

What is the question exactly? Russia has a 75-years term of legally restricted access to documents containing confidential information. References to some other countries having different laws are obviously irrelevant. Practically you can only wait until this term expires or legal regime changes.

luckystrike78

Post by luckystrike78 » 27 Mar 2019, 21:22

This has obviously nothing to do with confidential information. For a publication I would need the military carear of a German Army Oberst. There is no file or other documents in the German archives. I assume, he left the Army between 1940 and 1945. The reason is unknown. He came into Soviet captivity (reason again unknown) and died there in 1946. After a long research I found out that there is a questionair in the archiv in Moscow (standard procedure with German officers). Probably, this file could answer my questions. I was told, there were two organizations, (German Volksbund is one of them) who provide a copy service. But both organizations denied it and are only allowed to hand down these information to relatives. I studied hundreds of officer files in Freiburg and at NARA in the US, but I have never had such problems. I could get mad, that - after all these efforts (more than one year) - I am refused to get access with such a riduculous reason.

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 28 Mar 2019, 16:28

luckystrike78 wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 21:22
This has obviously nothing to do with confidential information.
What has to do with confidential information is defined by relevant legal documents. The existing instruction regulating access to archival records says that the following personal information is confidential:
- birth, marriage, birth of children, adoption, guardianship, death
- change of ID
- special physical features
- personal qualities, habits, propensities
- mental abilities
- political, religious views
- state of health
- private and family life
- finances and property
- intellectual property
- assistance to law enforcement organs
- moral and ethical deeds
- penalties imposed by courts
- location, including postal address and phone number
and stays in regime of limited access until after 75 years the relevant document was created. Accordingly personal files and similar documents which might contain information listed above are only accessible for relatives - your case is not exception but a rule. Reference to different legal regimes in other countries are practically irrelevant - German laws are not applicable in Russia and vice versa.

Der Alte Fritz

Post by Der Alte Fritz » 31 Mar 2019, 10:54

This is not unique to Russia at The National Archives there is considerable information that is date restricted, the 1911 Census is the most recent available, the 1921 Census will be released in three years and last time they did a release it crashed the site as so many people tried to use it at once. Same reason, contains personal information.
Similarly official British records are released under 30 year rule but some are only released after 70 years and others after 120 years and some never.

Clearly from your own experience of Volksbund, they are applying the same rules as the archive.

Mori

Post by Mori » 31 Mar 2019, 13:58

Funny thing; at TNA files sometimes show a sticker with the release year. In 2018, I was given files with "release in 2021" on them.

It's worth trying one's luck :)

Return to “Archives”