Research at the Bundesarchives

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
hoot72

Research at the Bundesarchives

Post by hoot72 » 13 Jun 2019, 12:28

Hi all,

I have written into the Bundesarchives in Freiburg hoping to find out information about the Ferdinand tank destroyer as part of my research on Kursk.

I know they take 2-3 weeks to reply to enquiries but I may actually be going to Munich (Herzogaunarch) for a 2 day meeting and then have the opportunity to rent a car and to drive over to Freiburg to visit the archives but, is it worth the risk turning up there and hoping for assistance to find specific files or information or not worth the risk as they only accept bookings in advance?

Anyone with any experience in dealing with them?
Whever we went, whatever we did, we quoted the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUhjWJVVCQ&t=199s

Mori

Re: Research at the Bundesarchives

Post by Mori » 13 Jun 2019, 18:33

I would check Invenio for the relevant files, book them, and then take the risk. BAMA is a user-friendly place, and not crowded.

You can also order files when you get there, but prepare to wait for a few hours until they arrive. The Freiburg cathedral idsdefinitively worth a look if you have such extra time.

If you are/stay in Munich city center, you may check whether going by train is better. The time it takes is comparable (4h or so).

hoot72

Re: Research at the Bundesarchives

Post by hoot72 » 13 Jun 2019, 23:36

Mori wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 18:33
I would check Invenio for the relevant files, book them, and then take the risk. BAMA is a user-friendly place, and not crowded.

You can also order files when you get there, but prepare to wait for a few hours until they arrive. The Freiburg cathedral idsdefinitively worth a look if you have such extra time.

If you are/stay in Munich city center, you may check whether going by train is better. The time it takes is comparable (4h or so).
Thanks very much. I appreciate the advice. Will certainly look into this as an option and try to look INVENIO first.

thanks so much
Whever we went, whatever we did, we quoted the songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUhjWJVVCQ&t=199s

Return to “Archives”