Volksbund, anything similar with open access? German KIA list needed.

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Materia

Volksbund, anything similar with open access? German KIA list needed.

Post by Materia » 22 Jun 2019, 19:11

Does anyone know anything like Volksbund, but with possibility to search for KIA's by date/death location? Volksbund is in fact completely useless to as they don't have that option. I obviously need a list of Kielce KIA 39-45, but most importantly 01.1945 [January of 1945] is what I'm after.

To my knowledge the list might be as big as 6K entires, but who knows... I myself own only 3 Sterbebild from that perios, which leaves me with 5997 more to go... which we know is impossible.

There's noone to ask, noone really knows anything. Every piece of information that I stumble on is priceless, but at the same time, some of them appear to be pure BS, lies, etc. I doesn't get any easier, seems to be the opposit.

I saw multiple entries with Kielce here, so might as well post here. There are unfortunately not too many places to search in/for, and I know that Germans are unwilling to give these kind of info away, to any random person that asks. They someties give info to families, if they somehow found themselves serving in the German army, or in other cases, that can be proven to be true.

To many of you, it won't be a suprise why I'm mainly interested in January of 1945, as this was discussed here. 39-45 is obviously better as it show the bigger picture.

I'm aware though, that I might never have such a list, but I know it's there in Volksbund, or else, just beyond my reach, like so many other things.

Wim

Re: Volksbund, anything similar with open access? German KIA list needed.

Post by Wim » 22 Jun 2019, 19:52

Hello,

I think you have better luck to the graverecords of your town or the city archive.

There are no such lists.

Sorry.

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, DRK, ...) during WWII is welcome.

Materia

Post by Materia » 22 Jun 2019, 20:11

In Volksbund, when I search by name, last name, birth date, death date, combinations like that etc. [from the Sterbebild that I own]. I get the results Kielce... but the Kielce, and date on it's own gives no result back, just null as it was made on purpose, to block such general search, to hide it. I wrote them an email asking for such list, just being straightforward, but I don't really expect any reply, because I imagine how ridiculous does such request even sound like. There is a list there for sure in the system, the problem is how to retrieve it.

Graverecords here in Kielce don't exist, I mean... there's not even any German cementery here, that's the problem, that's what I'm dealing it. So many things have happened here, but it all seems to somehow evaporated... That bothers me, it really does. There is of course a Soviet cemetery, but no German one, and I wonder, where the hell are all of them? I doubt that retreating Germans took them all while retreating, I doubt that they left them behind. I just have no idea, what the duck :D happened in my city, and it's vicinity.

Thanks for the fast reply Wim.

I really have no idea what to do, as even the books that are available to me, don't really include any detailed details, just "stuff happened here and there", that's it.

Siemianowice seems to have KIA from my region, so that's something, but still weird to me, I knew about it, it's not like I just found up, just saying.

Wim

Post by Wim » 23 Jun 2019, 09:24

Hello,

If you know from what unit they are you can search in the DRK vermisstenbildliste http://193.159.223.62:8081/vbl/Index.aspx and mayby you'll find some of them.

Greetings

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, DRK, ...) during WWII is welcome.

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 23 Jun 2019, 14:11

Materia, the Volksbund does not exist to help researchers. It is there for the relatives of the fallen/missing. This is also how its accessible database is designed: you can search for individuals. This only requires limited parameters. I've tried to obtain something as simple as a list of those interred at a specific cemetery, but the request was turned down. There are some indications they might become more researcher friendly in the future, but so far we'll have to use what is available through their website...

Materia

Post by Materia » 24 Jun 2019, 18:29

DRK was a great idea, as I manage to find Kielce, which is addressed as KE 163, and KK 127.

Not too many people there, I'm also not sure what I'm even looking at. That is some kind of MIA list?

1. Family name, first name.
2. Occupation before the war/during the war.
3. Birth date.
4. Origin, according to 1939 date?, simply from which city.
5. Rank/status.

6. I don't know. Single capital letters I don't know either [O, X, L, J, A, C, W, S, E, N]. R Kielce, G Kielce, don't know.

The date there I assume is when they gone missing?

Laz. Kielce > Lazaret Kielce, I know a location of two, one still exist.

jpz4 :milwink:

Wim

Post by Wim » 24 Jun 2019, 19:02

Hello,

This is indeed a missinglist.
If you know wich units fought there you also can search at the units pages.

The 6 -> LND buchstabe is from wich region he is:

LND-Buchstabe:

A - Bayern
B - Baden-Württemberg
C - Hessen
D - Bremen
E - Elsaß-Lothringen
F - Luxemburg
G - Niederlande
H - Saarland
J - Südbaden
K - ehem. Württemberg-Hohenzollern, jetzt Baden-Württemberg (B)
KS - Schleswig-Holstein
L - Rheinland-Pfalz
M - ehem. Rheinland-Pfalz westl. und südl. Teil, jetzt: Rheinland-Pfalz (L)
N - Berlin
O - SBZ (DDR)
P - Österreich
R - übriges Ausland
S - Hamburg
T - Niedersachsen
U - ehem. Braunschweig, jetzt: Niedersachsen (T)
V - Oldenburg
W - Nordrhein
X - Westfalen-Lippe
Z - Belgien

Greetings

Wim

Materia

Post by Materia » 24 Jun 2019, 19:14

Thank you very much!

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 24 Jun 2019, 23:04

Something worth noting: if the DRK gives a location, it is not where someone went missing, it is the last place there was contact from. This is necessarily the same area where someone went missing.

Return to “Archives”