Trying to identify soldiers in collection of photos taken by James P. Kuykendall

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by John Calvin and Jeff Leach.
aebuckham

Trying to identify soldiers in collection of photos taken by James P. Kuykendall

Post by aebuckham » 09 Aug 2019 16:57

I am an archivist working on a series of photographs taken by James P. Kuykendall between 1942 and 1946. Based on patches in the photos, he primarily photographed soldiers from Patton's 3rd Army, the 10th "Tiger" Armed Division, and the 14th "Liberator" Armed Division. These are some of the names, places, and dates I have based on typed captions on the back of the photographs:

Livingston
Kerfoot
Corona
Captain Hartsell
Major DeMott (Convoy to Saalfeld, April 1945; Paulinzella, April 1945; Seiligenthal, April 1945)
Lieutenant Pontius (Paulinzella, April 1945)
1st Sergeant Steel (Neustad, April 1945)
Sergeant Beers (Siligenthal, April 1945)
W.O. O’Brien
Lieutenant “George” Dzierson (with W.O. O’Brien, Ried, Austria, May 1945)
Captain Shaul (Near Eisenach, April 1945)
George (Reid, Austria, June 1945) - in multiple photos
Officer’s Quarters, 65th Medical Group

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ken S.

Re: Trying to identify soldiers in collection of photos taken by James P. Kuykendall

Post by Ken S. » 10 Aug 2019 01:34

Have you tied their respective veterans organizations?

http://www.10tharmored.com/

http://14thad.org/

aebuckham

Re: Trying to identify soldiers in collection of photos taken by James P. Kuykendall

Post by aebuckham » 04 Sep 2019 19:57

I have looked into both of those pages. Thank you.

Otherwise, here is what I know so far:

10th Armored Division
14th Armored Division
Patton’s 3rd Army
Technician (1942–1948): Technical sergeant insignia, U.S. Army, Staff sergeant insignia U.S. Army, Master sergeant insignia U.S. Army, First sergeant rank insignia U.S. Army, Technician 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade
Unknown: Dark background, white flower (6 rounds), light star embroidered in center. Worn on left shoulder.
Large circle, Large “S” with smaller “s” over-imposed within circle. Worn on left front pocket of shirt.

Return to “Archives”