BA / MA digital files

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Orlov

Re: BA / MA digital files

Post by Orlov » 27 Nov 2023 22:17

LiviJP wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:40
Bundesarchiv announces "Digitalisierung on demand". As I understand it, from 2024 we can wave goodbye to Selke and BA will digitalise requested files for free? https://www.bundesarchiv.de/DE/Content/ ... 7_dod.html
Thank you LiviJP for the great news on Monday!
Piet Duits wrote:
27 Nov 2023 13:27
The End of Selke GmbH.
Bravo! :thumbsup:

pintere
Financial supporter

Post by pintere » 27 Nov 2023 23:31

LiviJP wrote:
27 Nov 2023 12:40
Bundesarchiv announces "Digitalisierung on demand". As I understand it, from 2024 we can wave goodbye to Selke and BA will digitalise requested files for free? https://www.bundesarchiv.de/DE/Content/ ... 7_dod.html
That’s fantastic news, although it would also be great to know how practical such a system would be. What kind of delay would there be between ordering a file and it actually going up onto Invenio, for instance? Some fonds have thousands of pages, and with the capacity they have right now I imagine such a system would surely have difficulty keeping up with requests, even if they are 10 per person.

Still, there does sound like a lot of potential there even so, so let’s hope this new idea may exceed expectations!

nickterry

Post by nickterry » 28 Nov 2023 00:22

A key line in the press release is "Die Kapazitäten des Bundesarchivs für die "Digitalisierung on demand" werden in den nächsten Monaten und Jahren sukzessive weiter ausgebaut." So more resources will be dedicated to this, rather than outsourcing copying to contractors like Selke GmbH.

I would expect the initial rush of requests will keep them busy for a good while, but in the past two years of digitisation, I get the impression some clusters of files were being digitised on request - and presumably on payment. Berlin-Lichterfelde's digitisation has seemed a lot more haphazard and incremental than Freiburg or Koblenz, with only some collections undergoing a more systematic treatment. Reichskanzlei files are one example in the past few months for Berlin-Lichterfelde. The small number of BDC SS-OA files in R 9361-III that have been uploaded only makes sense if these are user-requested and paid for, otherwise why *those* 55 SSO files?

So far in 2023, the Bundesarchiv has added 52,000 digitised files - headline count for 25.11.23 is now 403.921 files, about 3.2% of the 12 million catalogued and accessible files (another 5 million presumably fall under the 30 year rule and other barriers). There have been reports of more money for digitising NS-era records, but I'm not convinced the funds have fully come onstream yet. Freiburg has had a much clearer digitisation strategy, working more systematically through collections in a relatively logical sequence. If Berlin-Lichterfelde had a similar strategy, they could have picked off quite a few collections. Hopefully the extra money for digitising NS-era files makes itself felt separately to the Digitalisierung on demand program.

It would only take 5000 researchers with their 10 file requests to keep the Bundesarchiv busy for most of a year at current rates of progress. I expect that some files will be subjected to multiple independent requests, since unless everyone posts their requests somewhere, how will we know who has requested what? On demand systems have a crowd aspect to them, and so I expect that a proportion of the overall digitisation effort will be soaked up with these requests. User-driven digitisation. Likely that slows the systematic digitisation programs to some extent, but they are promising increased capacity, so one would hope for more than 50-60,000 files digitised in 2024.

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 28 Nov 2023 16:45

I have had contact with the Bundesarchiv today about this new concept. There's still a lot of grey area that has to be discussed about. Like how many items per user, and for which period of time. Things that will be solved eventually.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 28 Nov 2023 19:19

Most of the current researchers will retire before this is going to be noted. :)
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

copiloto

Post by copiloto » 28 Nov 2023 19:29

Maybe it could be a good idea to open a thread in which everybody can write the requested files to BAMA, so that there wouldn't be doubled requested files.
For instance, Piet is interested in RH7 (EK), so am I. Then if I request one file and Piet wants to get it too then I could send him by wetransfer once I have received it.
Just an idea.
Regards

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 28 Nov 2023 19:49

copiloto,

and this can't be done, because RH 7 is more or less restricted. You need to have clearance before you get access to these files.

Darius333

Post by Darius333 » 28 Nov 2023 20:29

Is this Xmas or what.... ?
--> https://www.bundesarchiv.de/DE/Content/ ... 7_dod.html

Thank you

Regards

Darius

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 29 Nov 2023 12:34

copiloto wrote:
28 Nov 2023 19:29
Maybe it could be a good idea to open a thread in which everybody can write the requested files to BAMA, so that there wouldn't be doubled requested files.
For instance, Piet is interested in RH7 (EK), so am I. Then if I request one file and Piet wants to get it too then I could send him by wetransfer once I have received it.
Just an idea.
Regards
I have the ones (both EK & KvK) for Grossdeutschland.

pintere
Financial supporter

Post by pintere » 30 Nov 2023 01:56

copiloto wrote:
28 Nov 2023 19:29
Just an idea.
Regards
You’ll probably have better luck ordering the digitization of RW 59 fonds. Try requesting RW 59/2176 if you’re feeling really brave. If they somehow upload that then you’ll have more EK dates to work with than you’d possibly have time to deal with…

copiloto

Post by copiloto » 30 Nov 2023 18:46

Hi Evan.
Yes, you are right. An overwhelming task.

Regards

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 01 Dec 2023 21:16

Today one of the users photographed from Bestand RW 59 cards in BA-MA.

NicoH

Post by NicoH » 03 Dec 2023 14:31

Hello All

Recently I recieved this message from the BUndesArchiv Miltararchiv:Der Bestand RH 7 OKH / Heerespersonalamt ist Teil der Programmdigitalisierung des Bundesarchivs. Die Akten mit den Verleihungslisten zu Einheiten der Waffen-SS, der Polizei und zu ausländischer Truppenangehörigen sind bereits digitalisiert und können über unsere Rechercheplattform invenio eingesehen und abgerufen werden. Die Akten mit den Verleihungslisten zu allen anderen Einheiten, befinden sich momentan in der Digitalisierung und werden voraussichtlich ab Mai 2024 über unsere Rechercheplattform invenio zur Verfügung stehen.

TRanslation (short) : The RH7 files are part of the digitalisationprogramme of the BA. The files with the lists of EK /KVK awardees for W-SS units, police units and non-german soldiers are already digitized and can be accessed (and Downloaded) through INVENIO. The files with the other list (WH etc) are at the moment being digitized and will be available from MAy 2024.

Just to let you all know. Indeed almost all W-SS EK lists are available as well as some other formations (67, 81,86, 88 AK, AOk 15 and AOk 25), 85 and 719 ID). BackgroundL I ordered these files for my research and they were made digitally available).
Regards
Nico

copiloto

Post by copiloto » 04 Dec 2023 17:59

Hi Nico.
Many thanks for advising.

Regards

LiviJP

Post by LiviJP » 10 Dec 2023 09:59

Hi All!

Bundesarchiv updates guide on “digitization on demand”. You simply need to order files in an email.
--> https://www.bundesarchiv.de/DE/Navigati ... ellen.html

Return to “Archives”