Herkules Documents

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
jwsleser

Herkules Documents

Post by jwsleser » 28 Jan 2023, 03:57

I am seeking the German planning documents for Unternehmen Herkules. I have looked through the NARA guides and neither the XI Fliegerkorps or the 7.Flieger-division are listed. I am not familiar with the German archives, so not sure how to search for them. Traipsing through the archives hasn't been all that successful.

If anyone has a link, I can take it from there.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Mori

Re: Herkules Documents

Post by Mori » 28 Jan 2023, 14:18

One idea: check the footnotes of Germany and the Second World War, probably volume III. They give the relevant entries for BAMA.

At NARA, it's more probably under T78 (OKH) that you would find planning documents.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 28 Jan 2023, 17:05

Mori

Thank you for the ideas. I will check GSWW. I will look at the OKH but all the sources state that planning responsibility was given to the XI FK. Of course, it is possible that copies were passed to OKH. I would expect that guidance documents were issued by OKH, especially allocating resources.

Do any XI Flieger Korps or 7.Flieger-division records exist? T315 lists all the Fallschirmjäger Divisions except the 7.Flieger (the 1.FJ Div starts only after the 7.Flieger was renamed). XI FK is missing in T314. I do realize that these units were LW and not Heer, but as noted the FJ divisions are listed in the army guides.

Again thank you.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

diciassette2000

Post by diciassette2000 » 28 Jan 2023, 17:55

If you are looking for the plans for Herkules I think you can find them in Rolls NARA T1022 no. 2526, 2527 and 2562 which in fact correspond to the BAMAs from 36/149 to 36/154.....I think there is little else maybe something in the Rolls Luftwaffe......
ALl the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 28 Jan 2023, 19:07

Thank you Maurizio

A quick look at Strumpanzer indicates that those rolls aren't generally available. I dipped my toe into the Bundesarchiv and wasn't able to find them. I assume that the records are RM 36. I will admit that my German is quite rusty, so navigation wasn't easy or was possibly done incorrectly.

The FJ units appear to be in RL 33, but I have no idea how to find it. What is interesting is that the inventory states that these records came from the US.

I guess I need to once again reread the AHF thread on BAMA to see what I am doing wrong.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “Archives”