Italian Archives?

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
ChaseR83

Italian Archives?

Post by ChaseR83 » 17 Apr 2023, 02:19

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody can assist me with some guidance concerning Italian archives... I've been trying to locate the archive that would contain information on army equipment, tank, trucks, artillery, etc... but I'm primarily interested in researching Italian Tanks.

I'd always assumed give the low-production numbers of most Italian tanks would likely mean that information was scare or not available for them... but I recently managed to locate copies of operator's and parts manuals for nearly every WW2 Italian tank. Now I'm on the hunt for original technical drawings and blueprints.

There seem to be numerous archives for the individual Italian states, and there is a Naval Archive, but I can't find much reference to an archive containing land equipment.

I've seen reference to an "Ansaldo Archive", but I cannot find anything online.

Can anyone assist?

Thank you,

Chase

jwsleser

Re: Italian Archives?

Post by jwsleser » 17 Apr 2023, 15:56

Good day Chase

I wish I could direct you to the right place, but the organization of the Italian archives isn't exactly straight forward. Few Italian archives have digitized their documents or made them available to the public via the web. You will need to either visit them or hire a researcher.

I believe your best bet are the industrial archives like Ansaldo. I feel it is unlikely that technical drawing will be in the military archives, but offer the following.

Here are the guides that the E.I. (Italian Army) have online that you can look through. These do not cover all the files in the archives, as there are more guides in the reading room of the archive for the other files.

Archivio Documentale

Understand that none of their records have been digitized and placed for public access. You will need to visit the archive or hire a researcher. They do not deal with anyone via the internet. Once at the archive, the staff is very supportive and helpful.

The type of information you are looking for can be anywhere. In could be in G-21 Situazione mensile della forza presente, dell'armamento e dei mezzi (no guide on the website), but that busta might only contain types and numbers of equipment, not technical documents. G-25 Studi Tecnici looked promising, but it apparently only covers up to 1920 (guide not on the website).

There has been many catalogs published indexing specific files, but you have to search for them. Here are two examples.

Bollettino Archivio 2002

Bollettino Archivio 2017

Bottomline, you will likely need to make some Italian friends with similar interests or plan an Italian vacation. I do the latter and have enjoyed my time exploring the archives.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

ChaseR83

Post by ChaseR83 » 18 Apr 2023, 03:17

Thank you for the reply,

I will take a look at the links you provided. Do you have a link for the Ansaldo Archive?

Thank you.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 18 Apr 2023, 15:08

Chase

Google 'archivio ansaldo'. You will get multiple hits for the Fondazione Ansaldo. The Foundation hold over 50,000 technical drawings. Many of the websites offer English versions. Whether they will support via the internet is something you will need to explore.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

ChaseR83

Post by ChaseR83 » 02 May 2023, 05:53

Well so far it has been a difficult search...

But I did have a little luck:

https://2020.fondazioneansaldo.it/pawtu ... rro+armato

These appear to be a collection of factory photos, most of which ended up in the various tank manuals. I recognize a lot of these photos but these are slightly larger resolution, sharper versions.

I haven't hit the holy grail yet but the Ansaldo Archive has the Fosatti Factory papers from 1936-43 (they produced at least the Carro M medium tanks if not others)

They also have a 80,000 technical drawings relating the Navy and various war projects. I'd say it is highly likely at least some of the factory blueprints have survived.

Hopefully an Italian member will see this post that can point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Chase

Darius333

Post by Darius333 » 02 May 2023, 21:16

Great. There are some pictures of MZ-boats / motozattere :thumbsup:

Regards

Darius

https://historisches-marinearchiv.de/pr ... eibung.php

Return to “Archives”