Freiburg Archives

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
BobG

Freiburg Archives

Post by BobG » 24 Oct 2004, 04:58

I have noticed that when people on this site talk about research, they for the most part use the National Archives and Freiburg as official sources. With that in mind, my questions deal with the Frieburg archives. If you do a search on the German Archive site it will at times mention the HIAG and the US Historical Division as other possible references.

I know from searching this site that the HIAG is supposed to be an SS veterans organization, but do they also sell reference materials such as books, microfilm on all the SS units from the war? Do they even have an interest in collecting information about their former units to put into any historical works?

I have not been able to find too much on the US Historical Division and what it actually did and if it is still in existence. I know the US military did have volumes of books written by captured German officers, but is there a US military repository that has collections of works that the German Archives is referring to?
Thanks,

Bob

genstab

US Historical Division

Post by genstab » 02 Dec 2004, 18:00

They are referring to the what is now called the US Army Center of Military History, 1099 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20005. They have a collection of some 600 feet of shelves relating to US Army history. The website address is http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/reference/HowTo.htm

Best regards,
Genstab

Return to “Archives”