USA nazi´s archives

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
GABRIELLO

USA nazi´s archives

Post by GABRIELLO » 08 Nov 2004, 18:03

HELLO
it is said that some three million documents related with the Nazi Germany exist and that they will continue a hundred years under secret, inside the North American files
can somebody of you tell me in what document or does law USA mention it is made to such a restriction?
greetings

Dora

Post by Dora » 29 Nov 2004, 03:41

Gabriello,
You are probably referring to NARA, which is the United States' National Archives Records Administration. They may have an answer to your question. I'm sure they also have a web site, perhaps NARA.gov or something similar.
Dora

brucev

Post by brucev » 03 Dec 2004, 21:30

i think texas A&M has the SS records on microfilm.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 12 Dec 2004, 15:44

See: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=62798

If there's a source for this claim:
it is said that some three million documents related with the Nazi Germany exist and that they will continue a hundred years under secret, inside the North American files
please post it.

drmessimer

NSDAP & German Military Records in The US National Archi

Post by drmessimer » 11 Jan 2005, 00:54

The individual NSDAP membership records were under the contol of the US Army and were held in the Berlin Document Center until the early 1990s when the Army turned everything over to the German government. Prior to the date on which the US Army turned the Berlin Document Center over to the German government, the US National Archives [NARA] undertook to copy the entire collection on microfilm. I don't know what limitations the German government put on the release of the microfilmed material to the public, but there are probably some restrictions. I was allowed access to the Berlin Document Center in 1990 when it was still under US Army control. At that time, access was limited to government investigators and accredited researchers, which I was. Security at the BDC was very tight. Nevertheless, NARA has the microfilm individual NSDAP membership records among its holdings and they can be accessed. They are held in the Captured Enemy Documents Section.

The US National Archives also holds an enormous amount of captured German military records from both wars, including Waffen-SS records. My experience is with Records Group 242, "Records of the German Navy, 1850-1945." RG242 is also available as microfilm publication T-1022, and individual 35mm rolls can be purchased through the mail. Other German records collections are also available on microfilm. The extent of NARA's WWII German political and military holdings, the relevant finding aids, and lists of microfilm publications can be found online by going to the NARA website.

I hope this information is useful. Dwight R. Messimer

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 12 Jan 2005, 09:52

For an overview of the US NARA records drmessimer referred to, see: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=62798

Return to “Archives”