POW documents

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Balsi

POW documents

Post by Balsi » 03 Feb 2005, 18:36

Hi,

I ask me from wehre I can get POW informations about german POW`s in USA, Great. Britain, France a.s.o.
Where I get them from russia I know.. but not from the other countries.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Robert

drmessimer

German POW information

Post by drmessimer » 04 Feb 2005, 05:52

If you use the US version of the google search engine [www.google.com], and enter German POWs in the USA, you will get many hits, including one that details POW abuse in French and American camps. Dwight R. Messimer

Balsi

Post by Balsi » 04 Feb 2005, 08:24

thanks.. but I look for personal documents about the captivity of my grandfather..

drmessimer

German POW\Records in the USA

Post by drmessimer » 14 Feb 2005, 07:09

Balsi: Have you tried the Modern Military Records Division of the US National Archives [NARA]? NARA has a website with finding aids and online contact. I would imagine that POW records are probably in the Records of the Provost Marshal, US Army. I don't know what the Records Group is, but that information should be available online at NARA. Good luck to you. Dwight R. Messimer

Bobm

POW info

Post by Bobm » 18 Feb 2005, 00:24

I have attempted a search of the US National Archives files, via an independant researcher that was skilled regarding military files etc. My father used to mention an office in Baltimore, had him on file. Unfortunately, in my case, it appears the file was lost when Fort Holabard in Balitmore closed down in the 50's. However, according to the researcher's recommendation, the following file may be helpful: RG 498: Series Descriptions for G-2 MIS-Y to Focal File 1) Bremen Enclave Military District Interrogation Center Records 2) Combined Service Detailed Interrogation Center Records. I haven't pursued going through those files yet. I take it, that the Bundesarchiv didn't have anything?

drmessimer

POW Research

Post by drmessimer » 18 Feb 2005, 04:47

Bobm: The Bundesarvice won't have anything on Axis POWs held in the United States. The information you want will be found in NARA. Good luck with your search. Dwight R. Messimer

Max

Post by Max » 26 Feb 2005, 13:53

Luke_r86

Mauerkirchen

Post by Luke_r86 » 06 Mar 2005, 17:32

I am seeking information on the US POW camp at Mauerkirchen (Bavaria Germany). In particular, in what archive would one likely find POW personal records (including interrogation reports). It is likely that these records would have been maintained as Mauerkirchen (I believe) contained many/mostly SS POW's. Any assistance or pointers would be sincerely appreciated.

Henry Jones

Post by Henry Jones » 07 Mar 2005, 18:48

Hi Luke,

Mauerkichen (not Bavaria/Germany, Mauerkichen in Austria) was one of the largest POW Camps in Austria with ca. 300.000 Prisoners.
You can write to the municipal office in Mauerkichen (http://www.mauerkirchen.ooe.gv.at/) or you write to the German Red Cross Search/German Bundesarchiv or the WASt.

Luke_r86

Post by Luke_r86 » 09 Mar 2005, 11:54

Henry Jones.....many thanks. Re: easy for one to get his wires crossed. I was speaking to person who indicated that the person I was researching was in a prison camp at Regensburg. I thought she would know as she was his wife! (but then again, she didn't marry him till almost 10 years after the war so she may have been vague about information passed on to her). WASt records indicate Mauerkirchen however so thats why I just assumed Mauerkirchen was a little place bei Regensburg. My lack of local geography is obvious! One comment though....wouldn't it be highly unlikely that the municipal office in Mauerkichen would have any records on POW inmates? Surely this sort of information would be held by a military archiv either in Germany or the USA? Your opinion would be most helpful.

Simon71

Post by Simon71 » 27 Mar 2005, 17:48

Information concerning British records can be found here

Return to “Archives”