Photograph reproduction in archives

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Montezuma

Photograph reproduction in archives

Post by Montezuma » 26 Apr 2005, 22:32

Hello,

I have a question regarding photograph reproduction from archives (specifically, the Canadian War Museum).

I want to make some reproductions of Black-and-White photographs (WWII). If there is no negative available, only photocopies can be made. The photocopying is in either Black-and-White and Colour.

I was just wondering: since the War Museum probably has good photocopying facilities, does the B&W photocopies of the B&W photographs come out good (as in, good enough quality to be in a book)?
Or if I want to get the photocopy as close to the original photograph as possible, I need to Colour photocopy? (I ask this because when I photocopy things, it turns out horrible. The quality is not good at all. The B&W shades are off)

Thanks very much for your help!

/Montezuma

stril

Post by stril » 27 Apr 2005, 00:18

Hello
I cant say how they do it in Canadadian archives or museums, but im sure there is not much difference in how things are done over here.
If only a positive is available and you order a copy, the photo is photocopied and a negative is made. You get a positive of that. The negative is then used for future orders.If you plan to use it in a book, a highquality scan is more than enough for that purpose. I have made some scans over the years that are used in books, and the publishers want them in Tif, 300dpi,
8 bits grey, usually 18 cm wide.
regards
stril

Return to “Archives”